Rupert Neve AES Lecture, London England, 2007 for Download

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope there aren't any Scottish idiots at the end asking about the use of IC's in Audio electronics. :? :razz:

thanks for the link Denis. I downloaded the files last night and burnt a cdr. I listened to it today on a long drive and it helped change my mood, up to then I was having a very bad day.

cheers,
Ruairi

[quote author="peter purpose"]
I shall alert the media.[/quote]

You're such a stool pigeon.
:)

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=131464#131464
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=70294#70294

Thanks for posting this link.

There is a very important piece of information that Mr. Neve shares, I think, that we need to understand more fully. His listening experiment with high frequency sine and square waves.

[quote author="burdij"]Thanks for posting this link.

There is a very important piece of information that Mr. Neve shares, I think, that we need to understand more fully. His listening experiment with high frequency sine and square waves.[/quote]

There is still some stuff though which I personally disagree with, especially after discussing the whole "Geoff Emerick un-terminated mic pre transformer" story with Martyn aka Barclaycon at the London meet-up.

I think the whole deal with "hearing" ultrasonic frequencies is simplifying the whole deal of bandwidth and audio performance. There wasn't any mention of phase issues which occur when filtering/resonance is present in an audio circuit which undeniably has an effect on the perceived sound.

I think I recall someone mentioning teh switch-off of analogue radio at the end of the lecture too. Eh?! Where did they hear that?

Still, it was an enjoyable lecture, and I learned a bit too.

Peter, and Cainster, thanks. I just sprayed my monitor in uncontrolled hysterics...

Roddy, that's interesting. RN has been discussing this subject for about 10 years in his lectures. Very controversial. I sympathize with the concept, not sure about the details. That un-terminated mic pre transformer in the Neve desk, if it's the story I've heard before about hearing/sensing supersonics, is also legendary. So you met with someone at the London meet and he debunked it? Or explained it? Or is it just story telling from RN?

tommypiper said:
That un-terminated mic pre transformer in the Neve desk, if it's the story I've heard before about hearing/sensing supersonics, is also legendary.  So you met with someone at the London meet and he debunked it?  Or explained it?  Or is it just story telling from RN?

Sorry - missed that post. Well, and unterminated transformer.... Phase shift at the top-end, and probably some (audible) modulation of the audio band.

Anyway, we have a George Massenburg meeting coming up:

http://www.aes.org/sections/uk/meetings/index.html#0509

And a surround-sound for broadcasting meeting by BBC R&D which should be cool. I did a Dolby surround course the other day with Tektronix and Dolby, and it was quite interesting. I didn't realise that we are now broadcasting "without" dynamic range compression, and now leaving a flag set in the Dolby stream to decide what compression ratio/threshold/curve to use depending on what programme material category is selected.

Roddy

Where does it mention GM, Roddy? I haven't been a regular at lectures for a few years now, but I'll make an effort for that one.

Justin

Latest posts

Back