Saving audio files.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

Hello guys.
Im gonna replace my pc very soon. Old one dates from 2010 running good ole protools.

Now whats the best way to store or save audio and sessions... And more specific how to open sessions on different daws..im thinking to use digital performer.
Thanks for your opinions

The only way I´m aware of is to render every single track with all the automation, plugins, etc., consolidate it into one file and export it. There´s no way to open a session in a DAW of different brand, unfortunately.

I moved to a new studio Mac two years ago and changed my DAW from Logic to Cubase. So I basically went through the same trouble you have now. To be able to recall sessions from my old Mac I simply have to keep it, converters included. That way I can pull it out if necessary and wire it to the desk again.

You can export a session from one DAW to the another using "AAF" or "OMF", which are session formats compatibable with most DAWs

"OMF loses the volume automation and names of the tracks when exporting and importing from one application to another. AAF retains the volume automation and the track names. Most applications for audio and video will support AAF and MXF formats moving forward."

You have to keep in mind that all the processing in plugins doesnt get exported, but you get all the audio files with the correct placement in the timeline.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/en331113
For older mixing sessions what I do is that I keep the old computers, with exactely the same software versions and plugins at the time of mix.
I still have my 2005 PC Laptop because I mixed many projects with that computer between 2005 and 2011. If I need to open in the Future any of those session I need that laptop.

Old one dates from 2010 running good ole protools.
Now whats the best way to store or save audio and sessions... And more specific how to open sessions on different daws

You could export the audio unprocessed (consolidate if I remember right?) and also after the channel fader / pan (don't know if there is a batch process for that in PT, I use Cubase). Obviously all the files need to start from exactly the same point (Bar 0?). That way you'd have the option to continue where you left off or to start over. I haven't used OMF / AAF in a long time, but it has rarely really worked well (if at all) for me.

Use the highest sample width possible, probably 32bit float.

Michael

Back