Schematic for a FLRB surround matrix

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickjam

I've been doing some research about a 4-mic surround technique called FLRB. I'd like to give it a test run for a remote live recording. It's ideal for my current situation as I've only got 4 channels in on my mobile rig. I also like the flexibility it gives in downmixing to stereo and mono in post.

The diagram of the decoding matrix looks straightforward in this article, but it depicts an 8.1 matrix. Any idea what a 5-channel (LCRLsRs) matrix would look like? Iit doesn't feel right to eliminate the Back mic, as this diagram might imply. Does anyone have access to schematics of a known working 5-channel matrix for the FLRB configuration?

I'm also keeping my eyes peeled for a DX or VST plugin that implements the FLRB matrix, so I can just fly the four raw signals into Sonar and blow it out into 5.1 in software. I actually downloaded the VST SDK to find out if I'm brave enough to try rolling one myself, since I'm sure I can easily blow the dust off my C++ programming chops and the math is pretty trivial--assuming I figure out what to do with the Back signal.

Thanks

--Bob

Back