Sciencey Calculators

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Deadly

Spinning off of the dBm vs dBV Space Echo turned online calculators thread, I think it might be nice to have an online calculator somewhere with all of the stuff we (I) would want. Not that I'm going to do it. But getting started is the hardest part and it so happens I just coded up a single .html page with an example calculator with the various CSS and JavaScript bits to get someone started:

Sciencey Calculators

I don't know how long this will stay up. I don't really have a personal site for stuff like this. You can download this as one page and run it off of your desktop or modify it and post it online somewhere. The idea is to add more to it. Maybe it will turn into something usefull ... or not.

I think there is an error in your code. Assuming Vpp is meant to be peak to peak the answer is half what it should be.

Cheers

Ian

I think there is an error in your code. Assuming Vpp is meant to be peak to peak the answer is half what it should be.

Cheers

Ian
There is in fact an error, it should be V peak, not peak to peak. Vpeak is 0.775*sqrt(2) = 1.096 V, Vpp (peak to peak) is twice that so 2.192V. It's just the text that needs to be changed.

P.S. I could contribute to it. It's been a long time since I coded html/java, but I guess that it is like riding a bike. Anyway, for more complex calculations (like inductors or other stuff) I might be able to provide the Matlab or Python code and some gentle soul could do the adapting for the webpage. It is a good idea. Same as the idea I had for scripts, which I will resume soon, perhaps the more complicated calculators could be placed in the other thread in the form of Matlab scripts.

I guess that some calculators that I could readily develop are:
- Filter order required based on min/max attenuation and response (Butterworth, Chebyshev, etc...)
- Component values for active/passive filters of order up to 10?
- Air coil inductor turn to inductance ratio.
- Speed of sound based on temperature, and delay produced by distance in centimeters (or inches for you weirdos) from the source
- All-pass filter values for required delay.

If I can think of more, I will get back.

Last edited:
As a designer I would prefer peak to peak because it is useful to know for headroom considerations.
Yeah, I was thinking peak to peak too. For whatever reason it just seems more natural to me to think about the full excursion of the signal and not like it's a mathematical expression. So I fixed Vpp to mult / div by 2.

But of course someone could make their own and change it to Vp. That's sorta the point of this. It might be a nice intro to web development for someone. The techniques used in this one little page are current. It uses the latest doctype, viewport is optimized for a mobile device, grid-template-columns layout, gets into JavaScript, runs stand-alone without hosting, has an actual purpose / utility, passes W3C validation, etc.

So if you don't like it, fork it!

The email address on Sengpielaudio is no longer valid unfortunately ,
I guess nearly ten years after Eberhardt has passed it was time for Alex to move on .
Would be nice to have our own calculator page here on Gdiy , we could use any pre existing free calculators and perhaps add more made by our users in the future . The usual calc does its job but only has an example of the maths ,one that shows the worked example fully would be a great aid to learning .
Putting these gadgets into a smartphone app sounds like a good idea also ,
Studio 6 has a basic calc tool for iOS ,
https://studiosixdigital.com/audiotools-modules-2/utilities/

These are good:

Engineering Design Utilities

I really like the visual representation of the Filter tool (and the Op-Amp tool also does it).

And this:

GitHub - university-of-york/cs-www-users-fisher: Source code previously available at https://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~fisher/

is what's left of a site that was good for designing filters. You could enter a characteristic impedance and select a sequence of LC and it would compute all of the R and C values. It was really neat. It's gone but the link above is for the code. Someone should really resurrect it.

And this is not a calculator but a calculator for a calculator of sorts:

http://www.schwietering.com/jayduino/filtuino/

It generates the C code necessary to implement a biquad filter. I used this to derive an integer only 2nd order LP that ran on Arduino for low-passing samples for a VU meter.

Latest posts

Back