Scully 280 power question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wirehair

So I have what might be a dumb question but I'm new to this kind of electronics work so I'll just ask.

I just finished (with much help from many people in the community here) building a power supply to power 4 Scully 280 preamps.  My question is since they are positive ground with the +24v going to the ground do I need to worry about racking them up in a metal rack with other gear that is not positive ground?  Are there any problems that it would cause?  And for learning purposes for myself.  If it is not a problem can someone explain to me why because with my limited knowledge of how power works in this sort of situation it seems like having the +24v going the ground and the ground connected to the enclosure it might cause problems.  But as I said I'm new to this so what do I  know.

Thanks for the help

just think about it for a minute. Every piece of gear in a rack has a power supply. Each one is in its box with the other parts. The pieces in the rack all get on fine with each other. Why would your Scully preamps be any different?

wirehair said:
I just finished (with much help from many people in the community here) building a power supply to power 4 Scully 280 preamps.
good of  you.  in my opinion, they sound quite excellent. 
you will need some 20 dB input pads, either build into your setup or make them external.
wirehair said:
  My question is since they are positive ground with the +24v going to the ground do I need to worry about racking them up in a metal rack with other gear that is not positive ground?  Are there any problems that it would cause?
it certainly can be a problem.
ensure that the -24 VDC and the "common" or 0V associated with that voltage is not connected to your power supply chassis or anything else.
in other words,  keep the output completely floating. 
the Scully 280 will "ground" the  0V rail.

Back