Seems Like Xformers are Worth Their Weight in Gold Now

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrazemaster

I'm patently shocked at the skyrocketing of prices the last year or two on UTC and other xformers.

Forget hoarding silver; look in your junk drawer for old xformers they might feed your family

Attachments

• UTC A24.jpg
    UTC A24.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 72
I guess it's time to sell my UTC A24 then.

But anyway a seller asking for as exaggerated amount doesn't mean someone will pay that price.
I've seen some ridiculous high prices on transformers here in the black market also and I don't believe people buy for the price a wishful thinking seller asks.

I've seen some ridiculous high prices on transformers here in the black market also and I don't believe people buy for the price a wishful thinking seller asks.
Even if noone buys these, it will drive up the prices, because new sellers will potentially use those prices as orientation.
I have seen so often nice people selling great stuff for "real" (much lower) prices to others, who then instantly resold for a marked up price.(n)

So unless I need the money badly, I try to be relaxed about the prices, jut not when selling to some swinging dick on Reverb;)

Even if noone buys these, it will drive up the prices, because new sellers will potentially use those prices as orientation.
I have seen so often nice people selling great stuff for "real" (much lower) prices to others, who then instantly resold for a marked up price.(n)

So unless I need the money badly, I try to be relaxed about the prices, jut not when selling to some swinging dick on Reverb;)
Yeah I agree. That's also why I rather sell to people on this forum in the black market first if possible. I think most people here are cool to each other about prices. I was able to pick up a pair of UTC HA100x's for a total of $700 or so about 2-3 years ago from a forum member. I remember thinking how expensive that was! Yet now this xformer has joined the ranks of unobtainium for most people sadly.

At least Sowter and Cinemag and others do a decent job of replicas, and if you know your xformers you can often find a sneaky substitute that is perhaps the same model without shielding, etc.

Does this mean I should buy the A-24 and A-10s I saw for 200 a pop? (I thought that was the going rate and ignored it since I wasn't planning on building a LA2a).

Does this mean I should buy the A-24 and A-10s I saw for 200 a pop? (I thought that was the going rate and ignored it since I wasn't planning on building a LA2a).
Depends...would you be buying them to build an LA-2A later, or just so you can resell them at a profit? :)

With so many good transformers being made and easily available there's no reason to pay outrageous prices for vintage transformers.
Carnhill, Sowter, Cinemag, Lundahl and Jensen cover the needs and all of these brands make great transformers
Agreed. It's only when there are unique vintage transformers that have a certain sound, or that do not have modern equivalents, or have odd windings or tertiary/feedback windings that are not easily found, that we run into a little bit of trouble. But we're so lucky that Sowter and Cinemag do make repros of great transformers like the Peerless 217D and other rarities...

Latest posts

Back