Serial interface to control voltage ideas needed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickjam

This is probably way out of many of the regular denizens of the board, but I'm hoping there are some digital gurus in here to at least generate some ideas and/or point me to some online communities that may be more into this stuff. Anyway, I'm working on an digitally-controlled audio device. (I'll share more details once I figure out what it's going to be! :green:) I've got most of the audio path worked out, but the problem I'm trying to solve in this question is the digital one...

In essence, this box will contain bunch of voltage-controlled elements that run off an array of inexpensive DACs. I want to be able to control this box from a laptop at a distance--even if need be, through a single return channel in an XLR stage snake. This would indicate a serial protocol such as EIA-485 since it's already in use in theatrical lighting and other stage/automation applications.

For the DACs, there are a couple options that look most promising. Either has unique interface demands. What I'm looking for are ideas in how to interface to either chip:

Option 1: TLC7226 Quad Parallel 8-bit DAC

This will need a circuit to take the serial data stream and convert it to a parallel format. The ideal output would be at least 8-bits of address (parameter number), 8-bits of data (parameter value) and a one bit strobe. The strobe should pulse whenever a new address/data combination arrives. The address would select the DAC to update and the strobe would update it with the value on the data bus. Alternatively, I could easily throw in some logic to deal with only 8 bits of data and a strobe line.

Option 2: TLC5628 Octal Serial 8-bit DAC

This one seems really cool because it halves chip-count and cost on the DACs, but how would I daisy-chain a bunch of these together and be able to address them through a single serial data stream? I'd also need to somehow convert EIA-485 to the 12-bit data stream the DACs are looking for.

I realize a microcontroller might be the best solution for this, but I can't help thinking that it might really be overkill--that there might already be some other kind of interface chip that would help construct either option without having to deal with programming firmware, burning FPGAs or the like. (Like a serial memory controller??)

Like I said, if you know of any other community I can ask this question of, or if you know anyone else that may be able to give me some guidance, let me know.

Thanks!

--Bob

Have you looked at the AVR ATtiny45? its adress able, and you can control 127 of them on a single I2C serial line. Its used here as a Led controller:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8579#
Tell us if you figure out how to make a controll voltage with this smal nice beasts. They cost something like 2-3 dollars a piece.
jo

You really want to use a microcontroller. For a DIY one-off (or even for a commercial prototype) I would suggest taking one of the larger AVR microcontrollers in a DIP-package (like the ATMega32). They may cost a few $ more, but they have enough room and peripherals that you can play around without running into the limits of the device. Either DAC looks fine, the serial one may be a better match with the uC.

You may want to add MIDI support, this is not too difficult when using a microcontroller. Several online resources are available (such as this one).

Good luck,

JDB.

Mabye you can adapt the analog part (the filter + LM324) of this DMX to 0-10V converter diy project to your needs?
http://www.hoelscher-hi.de/hendrik/english/demux.htm
Sadly he does not make the source code available.

EDIT: I would not use that layout for the DMX transceiver, though. Not using PS bypass caps for the uC looks like a bad idea for use on stage..

;Matthias

[quote author="stickjam"]This one seems really cool because it halves chip-count and cost on the DACs, but how would I daisy-chain a bunch of these together and be able to address them through a single serial data stream? [/quote]

Look for a serial-loading DAC which has a DOUT line for daisy-chaining. Linear Tech makes a bunch of 'em. DOUT of the first chip drives the DIN of the second, and so forth.

RTFDS to see if you can tie all of the chip-selects common and just hold them low while clocking in all of the bits for all of the converters, or whether you need a separate chip select, or whatever. Some parts also have a separate DAC update/load pin, so you can shift everything in and then update all DAC outputs at once.

-a

Latest posts

Back