Sewn spiral dynamic mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@soapfoot The first spiral I made was a polyester chiffon. I don’t have good specs because it came from the hobby shop. I chose one that was about like 120 mesh if one were buying it to screenprint.
I haven’t been in the sewn product biz in a long time, so I’ve lost some of the vocabulary.
I’m with you, a lightweight (small strand size) poly or silk that is woven tightly so that air doesn’t blow through the material was my original intent. I could not make that material work initially with my voice, but tapping it did produce a small signal.

Vinyl is much easier to sew, but I’ll try one more experiment with stacked spirals of the woven polyester, and keep the coil the same size as this vinyl coil. I bought a very very thin and sheer chiffon to use as an electrically insulating layer because the conductive thread isn’t enameled.

Should I just continue on stacking these counter clockwise?
Is there much to be gained from alternating both the polarity of the wires and the spin direction?

Should I just continue on stacking these counter clockwise?
Is there much to be gained from alternating both the polarity of the wires and the spin direction?

I wouldn't expect these to matter. But I've obviously never tried it. It may be easier to turn the magnet around as an experiment?

Latest posts

Back