Shipping USA to Germany/EU Tariff Code

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello,

I am trying to get some packages sent from the USA to several places in the EU. I have done this before in the past without much hassle Now when I try to do this, the Tariff Code flags passive rotary switches as restricted items. I have tried to change the Category to something else that would fit but to no avail. Could someone stateside tell me which Tariff Code should be used?

Thanks!

Paul

Shipping to Germany seems to be the only issue so far. Netherlands and Spain do not have this restriction.

Germany is a problem.

Just had one shipment returned. The contents were books and vu meters declared with correct commodity codes. The return was activated after 10 minutes of parcel checking into the system. We are still waiting to hear the reason.

I also had another shipment returned from Germany. That was a power supply kit. Although it was not assembled/wired, the IEC was fitted on the rear panel. According to the forum member even though the supervisor at the customs did not see it as a problem and was against it, the officer who was dealing with the package dug his heels and sent it for checking for safety. Obviously there was nothing to check and they sent it back with a reason that it did not include a manual in German. I took it apart, re-packed the panels individually, including the rear panel with IEC on it and re-sent it without the manual in German, and it was delivered.

Do not send using the postal system. Send it by FedEx or UPS. If you send it through the postal system (I now learned it the hard way) it ends up in postal customs and there is a risk of ending up with some idiot who does not know his job well. On the other hand FedEx and UPS do their own custom clearance.

Last edited:
Good to know. Just for testing, I tried several random classifications and all of the them returned as being restricted. I am a bit confused.

The only problem with FedEx or UPS is that from the US, shipping internationally is way more expensive than having things shipped here with the same carriers. I do not ship enough items to negotiate a better rate with either of those two companies.

This new development is quite annoying.

Hello,

I am trying to get some packages sent from the USA to several places in the EU. I have done this before in the past without much hassle Now when I try to do this, the Tariff Code flags passive rotary switches as restricted items. I have tried to change the Category to something else that would fit but to no avail. Could someone stateside tell me which Tariff Code should be used?

Thanks!

Paul
I would imagine the commodity codes are harmonised. But from UK I would use the one says "Other".

1723592163318.png

The link is https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/subheadings/8536500000-80

Good to know. Just for testing, I tried several random classifications and all of the them returned as being restricted. I am a bit confused.

The only problem with FedEx or UPS is that from the US, shipping internationally is way more expensive than having things shipped here with the same carriers. I do not ship enough items to negotiate a better rate with either of those two companies.

This new development is quite annoying.

If it is a small packet, like the ones you have in the US, fixed rate small parcel, then you may be ok. When we send a small parcel (up to 2Kg) from here using Royal Mail we do not have to put the commodity code on the customs declaration form. Post office does it automatically and since it is approved from this end it goes through without any problem. But if it is through Parcel Force (for parcels over 2Kg), it ends up in the customs for inspection. Then there is the problem.

I did try a couple more times and managed to get it to come up with it couldn't find the code and gave the option to ship without a code. I repeat this process and I can no longer get this option to show up again. Maybe the USPS site is failing.

Also, if you enter 000000000 as the HS code it comes up as human remains, which are also restricted.

Something is screwed up with the USPS site. When I change to category to Baby clothes it still shows up as "Electronical articals and machines"(electronical and articals are not typos, that is how the HS code description is displayed on the USPS site) and those items are restricted. When I change the description to "Pants" and then baby clothes THEN it actually changes the HS code. I don't know if the word switch is causing something to trigger but it seems not matter what I do on the USPS site, "Switches" are restricted items only when being sent to Germany.

Paul, reset all cookies etc for the USPS website.

In Firefox, I open the History tab, select "Show All History", highlight any entry for the website in question, select "Forget about this site".

Sometimes selecting a different city/state in my VPN can fix odd problems.

Bri

I did try resetting the cache. That did not solve the issue. The German addresses where the international orders I tried first. When kept running into the same issue, I then entered the rest of the UK and EU orders with no problems. When I came back the German orders the problem persisted.

Tried a different browser. Got one of the problem orders to go through without needing an HS Code but when I entered the same information for the next order it came up as restricted. I reset the cache and then the previous order went away. I've been working on this for almost 6 hours now. I even reviewed the restricted items policy for Germany and nothing remotely close to these switches is mentioned.

Found a company called easyship.com. One of the shipments via FedEx to Germany with insurance to was $22. I will be using this for the future.

Last edited:
Back