SIFAM AL39 vu meters - understanding some things help needed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ln76d

I bought sifam al39 vu meters (big as hell).
I need vu meter which read 0db at 1.228V.
From AL39 sticker:
- 1.734V
- EXT 3K6 Ohms

Do this vu meter can work on circuit which i build (rev d 1176)?
Do i need increase voltage in circuit or modify my meters?
Inside those meters are only diodes, replacing them on different type will do the job?

gyraf said:
Give it  1.228V ac and see what happens...

PRR replies: http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10438.0;wap2

Jakob E.

And be sure to wire a 3K6 resistor in series with the meter in order for it to read 0 VU with 1.228 VAC applied.  That is the standard for any "true" VU meter.

Bri

Brian Roth said:
And be sure to wire a 3K6 resistor in series with the meter in order for it to read 0 VU with 1.228 VAC applied.  That is the standard for any "true" VU meter.

Bri
... that is already on PCB (R16) for the 1176 rev.D.
nothing to change or add inside this VU meter.

Thanks Guys for help!
If i correctly understand PRR (language barrier), AL39 should show 0 at 1.228V.
It will be logical if full scale deflection is at 1.734V
I have no option to check this out now, so probably i'll test with 1.228V in next week.
Brian - ofcourse i'll not forget about 3.6K for tests:)
Harpo - yes, i know that 3,6k is on mnats meter board, but probably i'll put this resistor inside meter, because it's only one PCB which i'm not using in this project.

I need to buy "WF" frames for those meters, do anyone knows some internet shop in europe where i can get them? I wrote to RS components, but they didn't answer.
I'll call to them on monday, but if they not responding now i think, they cannot order those frames.

Back