Silent Arts D-LA2A or D-AOC? for mastering and ultimate OTB MOJO BUS

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patch

Hey guys, I've now built a G-ssl, Neve ez1290, G-pultec (nearing completion) and i'm gathering intel on what to build next. I'm defo guna build one of volkers great projects either the d-la2a or the d-aoc but not sure which one to do first.

Preferbly I'd like to use it on my master to give sum nice valve / tube mojo and warming of the 2-buss. \from reading othr posts i get the impression that the d-aoc is more transparent than the d-la2a which makes me think i should make the d-la2a with fast attack t4b's (or is it release) for a more 'mastering' style comp.  

Any d-la2a/d-aoc owners out there able to give me sum advise/reviews? would be much appreciated. cheers

Fair comment but what about sum of the most standerd mastering compressors used in mastering studios...i.e MANLEY VARI MU and THERMONIC CULTURE PHOENIX......i wouldn't really call them transparent.....no?

Patch said:
Fair comment but what about sum of the most standerd mastering compressors used in mastering studios...i.e MANLEY VARI MU and THERMONIC CULTURE PHOENIX......i wouldn't really call them transparent.....no?
Never used the phonix, only the vari mu.  FWIW doug sax aka the god father of mastering, the mastering lab uses la2a's... so I dunno....

pucho812 said:
Patch said:
Never used the phonix, only the vari mu.  FWIW doug sax aka the god father of mastering, the mastering lab uses la2a's... so I dunno....

Well they're hardly LA-2As?  I'd venture that they have little in common with a standard LA-2A except the T4-B.  They are transformerless to start with.

Cheers,
Ruairi

IME, Manley Vari-mu's pretty transparent in what it does, compared to an LA-2A and doesn't use a t4B, or any optical gain reduction.  At least the one I used . . . it's "variable mu" compression, after all.   

I bet either of Volker's designs would be a treat to use for stereo material, though, especially if you went with stepped controls. 

ben

Back