Since it is a slow weekend here....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Pink

...I finally found that "Highway Whine" that no one else in the truck could ever hear but me. Maybe you just get used to how your vehicle sounds, but that ~400hz /70MPH song wasn't there before, it is new. And new noises from mechanical devices are generally not a good thing. Something changed, and things don't change for the better.

Prompted by an obnoxious screeching wear indicator (damn they design them loud, pull up to a light, bats change direction and run into walls, people from the next county turn and look, and th neighborhood dogs start howling in answer to a question that my truck brakes didn't ask) 

I pulled the front brakes off, and the right spindle felt, um, notchy as I turned it. Unsmooth. An A-HA moment.

So here's another off-topic non-electrical/electronic jpeg, the outer race of the offending bearing.

Gene

Attachments

• Wheel bearing.jpg
    Wheel bearing.jpg
    31.7 KB
That looks rough where it should be smooth...  :eek:
--------
I don't have pictures but a few years ago I rebuilt my beater brush vacuum cleaner. The rotating brush was supported by a plastic bushing and the race was trashed from wear and tear.  Plastic on plastic bearing surface ??

I was pleasantly surprised that I could buy new factory repair parts, while the price was less pleasant, but still a ton cheaper than buying a new vacuum, and once repaired it works as good as new.

JR 

It's disappointing but not surprising how many things create noise these days
[ cheaper not to bother with it ]  I know your's is a case of repair, bravo!
I had a wheel bearing that made a nice hum that increased with speed, swerving side to side
made it come and go, revealing it was the wheel and not the transmission as I feared
[ as it shifted the rpm's dropped and the hum decreased ]

okgb said:
It's disappointing but not surprising how many things create noise these days
[ cheaper not to bother with it ]  I know your's is a case of repair, bravo!
I had a wheel bearing that made a nice hum that increased with speed, swerving side to side
made it come and go, revealing it was the wheel and not the transmission as I feared
[ as it shifted the rpm's dropped and the hum decreased ]
I would consider a wheel bearing serious enough to repair.

I was driving a jeep on the autobahn in Germany (at speed) leading a 3 truck convoy (Reforger II NATO maneuvers) when one of my wheel bearings seized up... the jeep immediately shifted over one lane before freeing up again.  I may have been going too fast for the poorly serviced jeep (it had been sitting all year since the last nato maneuvers). The trucks I was leading were faster than my jeep so they were bugging me to go faster.  ;D  We ended up backing one of the trucks up to a roadside bank, and I drove my  (1/4T) jeep up into the bed of the 5T truck.  I led the convoy the rest of the way in from the back of the truck.  (I invented "Leading from behind").  8) I had the radio and the captain (I was the driver for), so we were technically still leading them, but I didn't have to steer the rest of the way in. 

As i recall we made even better time coming in from there, and I dropped of the broken jeep at the motor pool to swapped it for one with functional wheel bearings.

JR

Back