Slate ML-1 VMS Microphone Guts Images

Help Support GroupDIY:

kingkorg

I got my hands on one of these and wanted to report what's inside. The capsule is from 797 audio - CY032 model. Fortunately i have 4 pieces i ordered few years back, so i'll be making some replicas soon.

The circuit has some filtering going on, which can be seen in the measurement.

The fet used is BF256B, and interestingly it goes straight out to a cap and BV8 type transformer.

The mic is well manufactured, is low noise and low THD.

Emulations measure very well, they nail all the typical curves of the mics they try to emulate. Off course they can't match the subtle differences like proximity effect, off axis response etc. but i find it to be very well manufactured mic that performs great on it's own, and emulations can be useful. If it sounds good, it's good. It probably won't replace your favorite vintage tube mic, but i wouldn't call it a gimmick, it's a perfectly usable tool.

Frequency response of the circuit measured by injecting the signal through a 68pF cap.

Last edited:

Khron

I'll admit, i've had zero interest to look into the ML-1 before, but it's not even multipattern? Sheesh...

kingkorg

Bacause of your question I guess none, but without it i would think that the sound path could have one capacitor less. But besides it, how can a microphone lack the output capacitor?
Sorry, i updated the original post. There is an output cap, i havent traced the circuit but i think it's the C14. What i meant by FET to transformer was there isn't a PNP inbetween like in many cheap mics. Instead ML1 uses a proper high ratio transformer.

abbey road d enfer

Bacause of your question I guess none, but without it i would think that the sound path could have one capacitor less.
Whatever side the cap is, it's in series with the xfmr. It doesn't really change anything, except at an infinitesimal level.

But besides it, how can a microphone lack the output capacitor?
It is doable. It would take another FET and a few other things. It may have some advantages, but it would also have some disadvantages., particularly that of being less simple, which some consider a virtue.

abbey road d enfer

I'll admit, i've had zero interest to look into the ML-1 before, but it's not even multipattern? Sheesh...
The ML1 should not be evaluated in direct comparison with standard mics, it should be considered as part of an ecosystem, in which the software and post-processing are an important and unseparable element.
This becomes particularly evident when put in comparison with the Sphere L22 system.
I must admit that the ML1 appears as an half-assed approach compared to the L22.