Slightly annoying problem with pots on Kush Electra

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllMixedUp

So I recently purchased a Kush Electra knowing it had the problem and I'm curious what could possibly be causing this or if it can be fixed without replacing the entire pot.

The issue occurs on the pot in the picture labeled as HF Shelf on the pcb.
Seems the outer pot just gets hung up on the inner pot when you turn the inner (gain) pot. So if one has to add or reduce some gain one needs to fiddle with the outer frequency knob after.
Would this be just a mechanical problem with the knobs? Perhaps something that can be fixed by just popping the knobs off and reseating them? Or is this issue more indicative that the entire pot needs replacing?
If the latter, can any of you guys help me find the exact replacement part for it? I think I know who makes it, I'm just not sure exactly which one I need.
Judging by the print on assembly, It is my belief that this is an FC25BR10K made by BI Technologies/TT electronics. What I am unsure of is which one exactly I would need to purchase to replace it. There are several different part numbers so any assistance would be valuable. I have included some links below as I believe I am on the right path but I have never dealt with concentric pots before. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Link to my Mouser search results: https://www.mouser.com/c/?q=FC25BR10k
PDF from Mouser for P09x series (unsure if this is the one needed): https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/414/P09x-1545427.pdf
and PDF from TT Electronics site: https://www.ttelectronics.com/TTElectronics/media/ProductFiles/Datasheets/P09x.pdf

EDIT: Please note this is not a picture of the actual unit, but one that I found on google for reference. I believe my unit is the same revision, but I'm not sure. I can verify when I get home tonight. The pots look identical though.
KUSHELECTRACloseUp.jpg

The other likely cause is the lubricant used on the shafts has dried up and become sticky, effectively ‘gluing’ them together.
Try putting a few drops of WD40 on the inner shaft, then hold the outer shaft while rotating the inner one.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I guess first order of business is to pop those knobs off and see if I can visually see whats going on. I did reach out to Kush and received a response this morning telling me to loosen the inner knob, pull it back slightly and then retighten it. I will give that a shot at some point in the next few days. Hopefully this works and it's not a bent inner shaft or something of the sort. The knobs dont appear to have ever taken an impact so hopefully I'm lucky. If not, its only a minor annoyance and everything works fine otherwise.

On a side note, have any of you guys ever used the BI Technologies/TT electronics pots listed above? I've got some 500 series projects in the works and these look like good lower price point pots. I haven't heard of too many Electras going bad, so Im assuming they would at least be serviceable. Any idea on their longevity?

Latest posts

Back