SM Pro PR8 mods? First time DIYer!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simoncastic

Hi all! I've been a long time reader here and have been drooling over all your projects!

For me however, I've recently purchased the lowly SM Pro PR8 (not the newer PR8E) with the intentions to modify it to get it in the range of higher cost, usable clean preamps. I'm hoping to use the unit to record drums, electric guitars, vocals, etc etc - basically to record loud bands live, in a portable rig (go to where they practice, set-up, and record).

Although I'm experienced with recording, I don't know much (read: anything) about modifying preamps - the closest I've gotten is building my own guitar pedals from perfboard schematics, and that wasn't too successful. I'm hoping to use this as a stepping stone to build my own green pre rack units and a 1176 kit eventually.

Basically, I'm asking where I should start! Once I receive the unit I can open it up and take some photos if you like, but it'd be great if someone here who has modified the unit could chime in and let me know what parts they replaced, where they sourced them from, any issues from modifying the unit, and how I should go about it!

Thanks - looking forward to being a part of such a great looking community.
Simon

There was another thread like this this recently and many more in the archives. This kind of "modding" or fixing up can be learned from many many other threads too. So if no one replies thats probably why. Happy Modding!

abechap024 said:
There was another thread like this this recently and many more in the archives. This kind of "modding" or fixing up can be learned from many many other threads too. So if no one replies thats probably why. Happy Modding!

I tried to do a search and had no luck - care to point me in the right direction?
Cheers!

Hi!

http://www.groupdiy.com/searchresults.php?cx=partner-pub-1749889900964910%3A1545385773&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=sm+pro+pr8&sa=Search&siteurl=www.groupdiy.com%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D49691.0%3Btopicseen&ref=www.groupdiy.com%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dunreadreplies&ss=25419j492299635j10

Try that :)

Latest posts

Back