Small Coil Winder Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaftFader

DeafStar in low geostationary orbit above the UK
Further to my thread in Brewery

I have built a small coil winder , that may well suit people here interested in such things . It was to be a commercial product but frankly I don't have the energy or motivation to finish it on my own . So, I've decided to make the project files free to all on a not for profit basis . Jim, crosstalk, has been using the prototype to wind his lustra phone transformer , so it kinda works (he is currently sorting out a suitable licence and website to host the files for download)

The winder is based around a Raspberry PI as a controller, which talks serial to a couple of 8 pin PIC 12f1572 mpus. The PI software is written in Python (in my own indecipherable style !) using a Tkinter GUI (I was thinking about adding a Kivi GUI and a touch interface to make the thing self contained) . I've been developing the software on a linux machine running Spyder4 (see pic below) .

The PICs generate the pulse train (handling acceleration reversing etc.etc.) to two stepper motor drivers, one for spindle (currently a servo stepper) and one for the feeder.

The 3D cad files for the machine parts will be available.

So who's interested in taking on the project, extending and polishing it , in an open source manner?

Attachments

• winder.png
    winder.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 200
  • Winder and wire.JPG
    Winder and wire.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 206
  • winder wind A.jpg
    winder wind A.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 207
A couple more pictures

This aluminium feeder slide could probably be 3D printed . I used an expensive Teflon coated precision lead-screw for the prototype , but a cheaper option would be a length of double start 3d printer Z axis screw and nut.

Attachments

• adt coil winder.jpg
    adt coil winder.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 187
  • feeder slide.jpg
    feeder slide.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 161
Hey, thanks for sharing! I dont think I'd be able to expand on the idea or improve it but I've been searching for a good cnc-winder project and that certainly looks like one. So I'd be happy to see you sharing your files and interested in building one of those in the future.

Best
Jannis

I'm illiterate in the skills required to take the project and polish it. But I'm also interested in building one.

Hopefully someone who can do the required finessing is also interested and will pick up the ball.

Thanks Bill.

Thank you. Interested in building one. I would rather put my efforts into building one than chance an imported one.

Hi,
Sorry I haven't been here for a while . Had a major opsys update cock-up that lost me 3 months of work!

I'm making some progress on a 3d printed version of the winder hardware . I don't know what progress Jim has made with the website (I think we have a domain name :)) If anyone wants to play around with the files, let me know and I'll post them on my google drive.

CW 3d printed2.jpgCW 3d printed 3.jpgCW 3dprinted 1.jpg

It is that a standard box? I want to start collecting parts. and I would like to see those 3d files.

super interested in this project, do you have an approximate costs for all the parts ?

if there are more people interested we could make a group buy of any of the cnc machined parts.

thanks for sharing

12afeal: The box is made using aluminium plates and Penn Elcom corner extrusion :https://cpc.farnell.com/penn-elcom/...sion-45-module/dp/EN55970?st=corner extrusion

ATM the printed parts are resin (MSLA) but they may work in PLA /FDM. I was working on an improved slide block , updated the firmware on my printer and now it's making a right mess of the prints (elegoo support is helping but time delays to china are frustrating.

STLs here:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jTst8rCzni32jhReZ5AEY-1Ji1rYDnsi/view?usp=sharing

beatnik: Sorry I have not costed the parts. The most expensive single part is the servo stepper but, at the expense of a few RPMs , this could be replaced with a normal stepper motor and driver . Similarly , it is supposed to have a Rpi but could run on a PC with serial port at a push.

The bobbin adapters probably need to be turned on a lathe and mill to suit bobbin - not tried to 3d print one

Thank you so much for sharing,
it looks great. I was looking forward to do something like this.

Do you have any video of the machine working? or you make one?

Thank you so much

ATM the printed parts are resin (MSLA) but they may work in PLA /FDM. I was working on an improved slide block , updated the firmware on my printer and now it's making a right mess of the prints (elegoo support is helping but time delays to china are frustrating.

STLs here:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jTst8rCzni32jhReZ5AEY-1Ji1rYDnsi/view?usp=sharing

beatnik: Sorry I have not costed the parts. The most expensive single part is the servo stepper but, at the expense of a few RPMs , this could be replaced with a normal stepper motor and driver . Similarly , it is supposed to have a Rpi but could run on a PC with serial port at a push.

The bobbin adapters probably need to be turned on a lathe and mill to suit bobbin - not tried to 3d print one

Thanks a lot for sharing the files, this is great.

I am keen on building it. Have access to a 3d printer, feel free to let me know if you need some extra parts made.

Can you please share some part numbers for the motors so I can have a look for these and understand the costs involved ?

What are the sort of limitations in terms of bobbin size ?

The feeder arm is an experiment. It is 3d printed and uses tungsten pins to align the wire. The idea was to get an accurate wire guide without the expense of a ruby nozzle. Looking at the slight jitter ine the wrap , I think it needs to be closer to the bobbin.

The main motor is a closed loop stepper , these were cheap at one time but have since zoomed in price, so a conventional stepper would probably be used albeit at a lower rpm.

The feeder is a cheap stepper (mitsumi brand ???).

Just been looking at the current price of the closed loop stepper motor I used : Eeeek £144.00

I'll see if I can find a driver that'll spin a normal motor up to 500 or so rpm . Anyone here have experience with Trinamic devices ?

On the good news front, Elegoo are sending me a new LCD to fix my printer . Kudos to Elegoo for their excellent support.

Hi

Maybe of the subject, but...
I Never wind transformer but have made several pick-up, in various size and shape...
I have a schatten Model B winding machine, so nothing fantastic there but working good has I manually build the pick up..., and I just build this :

It's based on the schatten winder traverse : Automatic Winder Traverse - 220 volt - Europe
It's really simple to DIY... It's a servo motor controlled by an microcontroller (in my case an arduino micro, the code is esay...). 3 pot : left pos Max / right pos max / speed of the 'sweep'
Parts are 3d print... nothing fancy, but just make a quick try today and work good... So...
So kind of a poor system but can inspire others... and in sync with a Stepper that could work great...
IMG-1136.JPG

about stepper... Nema17 which are commonly used in 3D print are not so expensive and are good for the price... not made for turn fast, but tey can... or used really slowly and precise as some STepper board have MicroStep design...

best
F

Latest posts

Back