Small dual capacitor?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOON

I'm tinkering with the insides of an old Sanyo portable cassette radio, classic early 70s style. I just pulled out a Rubycon 470uF 6.3V electrolytic that had 3 pins. Sure enough it's a dual cap. Seen plenty of them in big cans in valve gear but never seen a standard looking small cap in a dual package. It's out of spec and a tight fit, might have to improvise a bit for replacement.

Attachments

• 20211122_165459.jpg
    20211122_165459.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211122_165442.jpg
    20211122_165442.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 10
Definitely a dual with common negative, other pins go to different circuit sections. Not worth going to any effort sourcing replacements, it's just something I picked up for free. I had to drill another hole for the second negative lead but managed to fit 2 x modern 470uF 25v replacements. I'm just curious if anyone else has come across this type before, I've pulled apart a lot of things and never seen one.

I've never seen one myself. Modern caps are smaller so you can probably fit in two new ones.

Over the years I have dissected lots of similar size electrolytic caps while troubleshooting production issues. The thin metal case can be relatively easily cut with wire cutters. Then the innards can be removed still attached to the rubber bung.

You might even be able to squeeze two modern caps inside the old can... but that seems like a lot of effort for little benefit.

JR

Back