Smart?? Pen / whiteboard software

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I am old school. I like to draw schematics, front panels and other diagrams by hand if for no other reason than it is quicker than using a CAD package and anyway the parts I use are usually not in the library. I also keep a day book in which I record what I have been doing along with calculations etc. SioI was quite interested today when I came across an article in Linux Format magazine about whiteboard software - programs that capture free hand drawings and text. They all allow you to write/draw with a mouse - which is about as good as using a spade. An alternative though is to use an external pen of some sort. Now that sounds interesting to me. If I could use some sort of pen, even the one I use to write in my Day Book, and it could be captured by my computer, that would be very handy. So I began to Google digital pens and came across smart pens which seem to be more or less what I want. But the reviews of them seem to indicate they are not yet a mature technology and some require you to use special (rare/expansive) paper. I also came across stylus's which are only useful if you have a touch sensitive screen (I don't) or they come with their own screen and some are big enough to hang on the wall. ALso, most of the pens only wotk with IOS and Android (I need something Linux compatible).

Bottom line is there seems to be a very wide range of products that may or may not be what I need. Given what I really would like is to capture my scribblings (as the wife calls them), what/which should I go for?

Cheers

Ian

Ok, it's not Linux, but how about an IPAD with a pencil? That would also replace your day book. The pencil is a pretty cool interface between the analogue and digital worlds, the IPAD can replace almost everything and its mobility and power make it very handy in your home, office, workshop and studio. The powerful camera is a plus!

I really liked Wacoms when we had these around. For Linux, there's this:

https://linuxwacom.github.io/
And if you prefer not to use a Wacom, see:

https://digimend.github.io/
As always, it depends on your distro if support for drawing pens is included, so you may need to manually install a driver.

Back when I was in ITC marketing we had a lot of those toys around. None I care to remember, except the Wacoms and the Logitech trackball. I've seen people use that trackball to draw, but I wouldn't recommend it as I never used it that way myself.

Thanks for all the replies. I just ordered a Wacom One tablet. They say it is Linux compatible and also works with my Chromebook.

Cheers

Ian

I have a very old WACOM stylus input system that I used with one of my old PCs that recently died (hard drive failure).

I used the stylus entry to play solitaire without irritating my carpal tunnel nerve bundle from too much mousing around.

Since I no longer have a reason or place to use this, it is surplus. But who knows about the application software.

I never used it successfully for drawing entry on any of my cad software, just solitaire. ;)

JR

Latest posts

Back