Smokeless coal

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

Most towns in this country have a ban on old fashioned coal for environmental reasons , but I wonder really how much these processed coal nuggets save the environment .
First off the smokeless coal isnt water proof like regular coal is , its supplied in sealed plastic bags but thats not a gaurantee of moisture content ,which is linked to how well it burns , second me and other people have noticed a very high weight in left over ash and un burnt cinder from it . This left over is typycally put into landfill with other domestic waste and were paying by weight so its another associated cost that people dont often figure into their heating bill . The exact composition of these processed nuggets is anyones guess , but I wouldnt be surprised if waste oil/solvents and sand are part of the mix . Wood burns down to a few % of its original weight and whats left over is fairly green/garden friendly in environmental terms , whats left over after burning coal is a hazardous material by almost any modern standards , so it belongs at the appropriate kind of lined pit landfill with even higher disposal cost per weight if we were to do things right . With one bag of smokeless I burned recently I was left with 20% of the original weight of the product in ashes, it all comes as a bit of a shock as I was used to burning timber all along .

Commercial forestry has plenty of environmental downsides that tend to counteract out the possibilities of doing it sustainably , the place below looked like it was struck by napalm a few years back after the bulldozers rolled in , the landscape is still trying to repair the damage .

Attachments

• woods3a.jpg
    woods3a.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 4
Some cities in the US are trying to outlaw gas stoves, this is not well received by many cooks who like cooking with gas (I have no problem with electric stove/oven). I cook most meal with a slow cooker slowly. I actually have a thermal insulating pad for the lid to hold in heat. Years ago I made an insulated box that the slow cooker fit inside but after a few years the excess humidity fouled the tact switches, so now I let it breath to avoid the humidity build up but still insulate the lid.

JR

Logging and forestry products have done an about face in the US. They are considered environmentally friendly when done in a sustainable way. And that's the only way it's done now. This is one area where commercial and environmental interests aligned. Loggers need trees to cut down so clearcutting large swaths and ruining the habitat doesn't work for the forest products industry. I have a place in the largest state park in the US. It's over six million acres. The kind of industry permitted in the park is severely restricted. Logging and forest products are encouraged. The state forestry school is there and has research lands.

Some people use a layer of cling film or foil tied with string over the top of the slow cooker, with the usual loose fitting lid placed over the top . It keeps in more moisture and generally helps hold in the heat better .

Some people use a layer of cling film or foil tied with string over the top of the slow cooker, with the usual loose fitting lid placed over the top . It keeps in more moisture and generally helps hold in the heat better .
I have been doing this for years and in fact my earlier system was too effective at also holding in humidity. I now use a foam/thermal insulation blanket resting loosely on top of the glass lid and it works like a charm. In use the glass lid gets too hot to touch without a pot holder. I never made measurements but that heat that isn't lost probably reduces cooker energy consumption.

JR

Proper anthracite should burn up to almost nothing ,maybe 5% W/W ,this smokeless leaves around 20% residue , so whats the filler in the sandwich the fuel merchants are allowed to add ,grit/sand ? I can do a sink/swim test of the fireplace leftovers and see what proportion turns out to be non combustible material, im betting above 10%

Back