SMPS + Class A microphone preamp discoveries

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello, Everyone,

I had created several threads over the last couple of years regarding my struggle with SMPS supplies and what was needed to get them to work with class A microphone preamps and other circuits that used a BA283 style amplifier. I have now finally found a solution to this problem of mine and I would like to share everything here in one spot instead of replying to the other threads.

First, the audio circuit is the preamp section of a 1073 channel strip. I have been building this circuit using kits and boards from some of the exceptional members here. I then began working on a solution for IEM mixing for singers and found myself using BA amp circuit blocks to achieve the results that I wanted and in prototypes solved the complaints one would get from singers when using wireless IEM transmitters. The goal was a self contained circuit with PSU in a 1U chassis. There were also going to be components that needed a bipolar voltages, so that would need to be taken into consideration. I knew from previous builds of this circuit that this particular preamp is very susceptible to noise, especially from a linear PSU using a toroidal transformer. I started to experiment with switch mode power supplies and found that the individual amp sections could be powered from a 500 series power supply using the +/-VDC connections and it was very quiet. I moved onto using an enclosed 24V single source SMPS with no filtering for the entire circuit and after some rerouting of the ground connections, I had a very quiet unit. I also found that when using modern equivalent components that I the circuit could be powered using a 48V single source power supply (convenient for +48V) but it would need a bigger heatsink as this made the output transistor become much hotter than before. However using a +/-24V PSU gave me the same headroom but did not generate nearly the same amount of heat.

After having success with the non-filtered 24V PSU I started building the next prototype and used more compact SMPS units as I was going to need two of them to make a bipolar power supply. I did not use any filtering as on the first build but now there was all of this oscillating and other unwanted noises. I did not know why this was happening as these were medical grade SMPSs which are supposed to have much lower noise than the low cost versions. This is when I started posting inquiries regarding using SMPSs and proceeded buy more units from different manufacturers but never actually finding a solution. I went back to the original PSU and the noise went away. It seemed that I randomly found an off the shelf switching power supply that was low noise in this circuit.

More inquiries and internet searching regarding my issue and I was lead to CLC filtering, which did not seem to solve the issue. I was told to look at capacitance multipliers by Bo Deadly (thanks!) but at the time when I was reading up on them the information didn't make sense. It was not until I was directed to the same articles as I previously been reading that I found a schematic with values I could try. I made of these circuits and all of my noise issues are gone. In fact they are better than any result previously achieved. Attached is an image of the noise of the whole preamp circuit set to unity gain after being burned in and another one when 0dBu of pink noise is applied to the input using the same gain setting. The noise floor does not seem to seem to increase with changing the gain. These results were achieved with SMPS units that were previously causing excessive noise.

The schematic for the capacitance multiplier that was implemented with the noise figures shown. I used 2200uF, 220uF, and TIP122 for 4700uF, 470uF, and TIP35 respectively. These values can be tuned to best suit the capacitance rating of the type of SMPS used as well as voltage needed.

I am going to do more testing with this circuit and other makes and models of SMPSs. For now this is a big sign of relief having solved an issue that has been plaguing me for nearly three years.

Thanks!

Paul

EDIT: The first image was with the preamp cranked to +40 and no input signal after the burn in process. The second image is with the gain set to unity with 0dBu pink noise injected to the input.

Attachments

• DMB Noise Gain +40 after burn in.jpg
    DMB Noise Gain +40 after burn in.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 3
  • DMB Pink.jpg
    DMB Pink.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Capacitance Multiplier single.gif
    Capacitance Multiplier single.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Very interesting!
SMPS are very tricky, but attractive. I’m trying to solve this problem for a long time, but still can’t beat the performance of a good linear supply.
First of all, you really need to see what’s going on in the HF range above 20k. I’d say up to 100k is a minimum.
Secondly, compare THD with different supplies and see if the harmonic structure changes. Do not measure just a single 1k. Do this for various frequencies.
Thirdly, do an IMD test and compare. I had a really ugly results with IMD with the 2254 circuit (supplied by SMPS) which otherwise was nice and quiet.
It may be that the cap mult is a solution. But thorough tests must be done to ensure this.

The schematic for the capacitance multiplier that was implemented with the noise figures shown. I used 2200uF, 220uF, and TIP122 for 4700uF, 470uF, and TIP35 respectively. These values can be tuned to best suit the capacitance rating of the type of SMPS used as well as voltage needed.

Your capacitance multiplier's RC chain forms a 2nd order bessel lowpass at around 10Hz.

An LC equivalent with 4,700uF would need an ~ 47mH Inductor to make an equivalent LC circuit.

A Hammond #159ZE would probably get you there:

159ZE

But these are 30 USD per pc, so an "electronic choke" is a good idea.

Suggested improvements:

Replace BD139 by BC847C
Replace TIP122 by TIP127

configure the circuit as compound feedback pair (or inverted darlington) instead of simple darlington

Thor

I am not clear if you applied the capaiticance multiplier to a SMPS. Your schematic shows it applied to a linear supply.

Cheers

ian
The schematic is not mine and was from a paper dealing solely with capacitance multipliers. I adapted it by taking the SMPS's VDC out terminals and connected it to what is shown as rectifier + and - on the schematic.

Thanks!

Paul

Your capacitance multiplier's RC chain forms a 2nd order bessel lowpass at around 10Hz.

An LC equivalent with 4,700uF would need an ~ 47mH Inductor to make an equivalent LC circuit.

A Hammond #159ZE would probably get you there:

159ZE

But these are 30 USD per pc, so an "electronic choke" is a good idea.

Suggested improvements:

Replace BD139 by BC847C
Replace TIP122 by TIP127

configure the circuit as compound feedback pair (or inverted darlington) instead of simple darlington

Thor
Thanks for the suggestions. TIP122 and BD139 is just what I had on hand. As for the 4700uF, this value is much too big for most SMPSs. I wound up using a 2200uF but in the future I will look at doing 470-1000uF, depending on the capacitance load value of the power supply.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:
Very interesting!
SMPS are very tricky, but attractive. I’m trying to solve this problem for a long time, but still can’t beat the performance of a good linear supply.
First of all, you really need to see what’s going on in the HF range above 20k. I’d say up to 100k is a minimum.
Secondly, compare THD with different supplies and see if the harmonic structure changes. Do not measure just a single 1k. Do this for various frequencies.
Thirdly, do an IMD test and compare. I had a really ugly results with IMD with the 2254 circuit (supplied by SMPS) which otherwise was nice and quiet.
It may be that the cap mult is a solution. But thorough tests must be done to ensure this.
The biggest test was when I sent the first unit back to the client with these noise figures, he asked me whether or not the preamp sounded better because he thought it did and was extremely happy with how it sounded. He compared it to his other nice commercial preamp and said the one I built him was so much better. For me that is the end of testing.

Thanks!

Paul

More inquiries and internet searching regarding my issue and I was lead to CLC filtering, which did not seem to solve the issue. I was told to look at capacitance multipliers by Bo Deadly (thanks!) but at the time when I was reading up on them the information didn't make sense. It was not until I was directed to the same articles as I previously been reading that I found a schematic with values I could try. I made of these circuits and all of my noise issues are gone. In fact they are better than any result previously achieved. Attached is an image of the noise of the whole preamp circuit set to unity gain after being burned in and another one when 0dBu of pink noise is applied to the input using the same gain setting. The noise floor does not seem to seem to increase with changing the gain. These results were achieved with SMPS units that were previously causing excessive noise.

That CRCRC is for a linear supply. You should not load an SMPS with that much capacitance. I would just do one CRC with values like 470u / 220 / 470u. Also, the capacitor on the output of the pass-transistor is actually very important. You want that right next to the transistor with the 0V side right next to where all of your 0V converge. You could make it bigger too. Because the CM turns on slow it could be huge and should be selected for shutdown drain time (< 1s) but large enough to make the noise floor completely free of mains frequency. However, you can't see your noise floor because ...
EDIT: The first image was with the preamp cranked to +40 and no input signal after the burn in process. The second image is with the gain set to unity with 0dBu pink noise injected to the input.
If the noise floor of the circuit is below the noise floor of your audio interface, then yes, you will not see it increase until the gain is increased enough to raise it above the noise floor of your audio interface. To do this, you should use max gain of the preamp. If you're only using one BA283, cascade two, one with 40dB and one with 20dB for a total of 60dB. Then send a tone out of your audio interface, through a 60dB attenuator and then fiddle with the attenuator, source level and circuit gain so that the tone is just barely not clipping the audio interface input. Then turn off the tone and record your result. You should then see the true noise floor of the circuit and see how far down in dBFS the noise floor is.

But whatever the true result is, it sounds like you've had a breakthrough so congrats.

Thanks for the suggestions. TIP122 and BD139 is just what I had on hand. As for the 4700uF, this value is much too big for most SMPSs. I would up using a 2200uF but in the future I will look at doing 470-1000uF, depending on the capacitance load value of the power supply.

1673104137794.png

My suggestion. No input capacitor shown. A large value input capacitor should not be needed with SMPS.

This circuit drops out less DC (~0.5V), has lower output impedance and around 6dB more noise suppression than the same circuit as the Darlington configuration.

Thor

View attachment 102704

My suggestion. No input capacitor shown. A large value input capacitor should not be needed with SMPS.

This circuit drops out less DC (~0.5V), has lower output impedance and around 6dB more noise suppression than the same circuit as the Darlington configuration.

Thor
I'll have to try this out. I have another build I need to do next week. I'll let you know how it goes. I great appreciate you sharing this.

Thanks!

Paul

I'll have to try this out. I have another build I need to do next week. I'll let you know how it goes. I great appreciate you sharing this.

Thanks!

Paul
PS, Transistors shown are what the TinaTI library has ready.

2SC2240 or MPSA18 or similar are good choices for the "control" Transistor. We want high beta and low noise.

The actual (PNP) pass transistor should also have high and constant Beta.

The next stop could be a shunt noise killer that can work with a lot less dropout.

Thor

PS, Transistors shown are what the TinaTI library has ready.

2SC2240 or MPSA18 or similar are good choices for the "control" Transistor. We want high beta and low noise.

The actual (PNP) pass transistor should also have high and constant Beta.

The next stop could be a shunt noise killer that can work with a lot less dropout.

Thor
Both those transistors come up as Obsolete on Mouser.
Edit, ah, lead free now....:rolleyes:

The schematic is not mine and was from a paper dealing solely with capacitance multipliers. I adapted it by taking the SMPS's VDC out terminals and connected it to what is shown as rectifier + and - on the schematic.

Thanks!

Paul
OK, thanks, could you possibly post a link to the paper?

Cheers

Ian

I've been using meanwell 24V smps to power up numerous big name pre's (Original Neve 1073, Telefunken V676, V672 etc.) and its been all good. Did it out of laziness not expecting much but its definitley paid off...

This is a little perpendicular to the topic, but I found it interesting as a walkthrough of concepts and choices.

https://wenzel.com/library/time-frequency-articles/finesse-voltage-regulator-noise/
Murray

This is a piece I referenced in a related thread.

By replacing the ballast resistor with a choke and using a feedback circuit instead of wenzels feedforward circuit can "Denoise" SMPS efficiently with fairly low DCR, low value chokes as "ballast" and with bypass capacitors to extend operation to high frequencies.

Thor

Both those transistors come up as Obsolete on Mouser.
Edit, ah, lead free now....:rolleyes:

TO-92 transistors are progressively being EOL'd.

Lucky in most cases SMT options are available, often even as single pack SC-70 dual, which for example gives you a BC547C thermally coupled pair.

Need a J-Fet pair to use on a NE5534 input to replace the original BJT't pair? Toshiba 2SK170 dual in SMT is called 2SK2145.

For power use SOT-223, DPAK and DPAK-2 often have the same good old parts we used to get in TO-126 or TO-220. Heatsink options are also available.

The 5534 can use a nice p-cannel SOT-223 MOSFET driven off pin 5 as SE Class A output stage also dropping 5mA into the final stage as CCS.

So once you go full on SMT, there are many excellent parts to pick from.

Thor

This is a piece I referenced in a related thread.

By replacing the ballast resistor with a choke and using a feedback circuit instead of wenzels feedforward circuit can "Denoise" SMPS efficiently with fairly low DCR, low value chokes as "ballast" and with bypass capacitors to extend operation to high frequencies.

Thor
I saw the other post but I’m still not quite sure I understand the topology you’re describing. Would it be possible for you to provide a schematic please?

Back