SMS authorisation has killed my electronics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

This probably won't mean much to most of you, but if you live in a hilly area like me, you have no mobile service and therefore can't receive an sms authorisation code.

I had managed before with PayPal on my UK account, but I had to close that in order to open another French PayPal account.  When I tried to do that it wanted to send me an sms autorisation, so I no longer have a PayPal account to buy components.

My French debit card also needs an sms authorisation for internet purchaces, so zero possibilities there.

I have nothing but contempt for smartphone dickheads who have not done their research properly.  If I went into my boss and said I have designed a system that will retain 95% of our customers, he would have said WTF have you done?  F*^k off and get me my 5% back!

DaveP

What a pain for you.

I would assume that the money that financial services providers save by preventing fraudulent transactions outweighs the money they lose from the minority of customers who are unable to receive text messages.

Can't you call to authorise payments?

Maybe there is some type of computer thing that allows you to get sms??
You need sms authorisation to open a PayPal account, then you can select authorise with 2FA.  This is done with Symantec VIP on your laptop which gives you a new code every 30 seconds.  But if you can't open the account, you can't select 2FA.

This is what we used to call Catch22,

This UE-100 project looks like my last on the forum

DaveP

How about spending an afternoon in town where there is cell service to get the SMS stuff done?

Entering a BOM on a phone would be a nightmare.  In the end it will be market forces that will bring about an alternative.
My currency transfer service phones my landline and a robot woman gives me a 6 figure code, its not rocket science.

DaveP

DaveP said:
Entering a BOM on a phone would be a nightmare.  In the end it will be market forces that will bring about an alternative.
My currency transfer service phones my landline and a robot woman gives me a 6 figure code, its not rocket science.

I thought you just needed to authorize the services with SMS. After you set up an account can't you just use wifi or whatever you use at home to get on the web?

Quite often there's an option (frequently well hidden) to use 2FA with something like Google Authenticator

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/12/how-enable-two-factor-authentication-paypal

Nick Froome

If you don’t object to using Apple products, maybe you could do what I do. I have an old iphone, and an old ipad. My ipad has Messages, which is linked to my Apple ID and phone number. This means I can send and receive text messages over wifi at home via my internet service, even if my phone is off.

Theres more and more instances these days where people are getting cut out of the loop for not  being online , or connected.

A method of claiming certain childrens welfare payments initially started out as online only here in Ireland but it wasnt long before problems arose and soon after the government had to by law make 'paper' applications forms available to the general public.
The other concern of mine is applying or interacting online for something opens up an whole other can of worms regarding privacy/ data protection and the possiblilty of fraud.  Despite the fanfare they blow off about all this new fangled online security the instance of frauds is rising .

There are many old people out there to who smart phones and the internet are stuff they have never touched in their lives , this idea that governments or business can simply switch to online only after a certain time is bullcrap.
Someone somewhere must have done the maths , lets say they do loose 5% of customers , if the other 95% are buying 5% more Im pretty sure the big money will say 'screw you' to the little people , the banks did exactly that after the last crash afterall.  This whole Covid alert has swung in the favour of big money either way , online/card only payments is far more streamlined than carting vast amounts of money around in trucks , but its stands a high chance of causing disadvantage  particularly to less well off people.

MacDonalds here in Ireland have been trying to go cashless for a while , to most people they dont even realise you can still pay cash by making the order from the kiosk in the usual way then canceling at the end of the transaction upon where a ticket for the counter is printed allowing you pay in cash . The other thing there doing lately is asking people to complete a covid tracking app form in the store , no one is under any obligation to comply but  either way by using a credit card in the first place they may already hold your data on the system .

I guess you could try the extender antenna for the phone, but with out line of sight to the transmitter Im not sure if matters will improve much. Maybe a mobile broadband modem with USB might be used, they often have provision for external antenna plus 5 meters or more of USB cable and as far as I know can recieve and send text messages via the mobile network . 

Which sellers actually require sms id?
I believe the usual suspects (RS, Mouser, Digi, Farnell) do not require it.
I also believe they have the possibility of bankdraft payment, with a little more delay.
Can't you use a surrogate for those who require it? I'd be happy to do that for you; I would just need to create an additional delivery address.

You need sms authorisation to open a PayPal account, then you can select authorise with 2FA.  This is done with Symantec VIP on your laptop which gives you a new code every 30 seconds.  But if you can't open the account, you can't select 2FA.

FWIW, google has an authentication app for cellphones in the states.  Connect to public wifi,  create a gmail account, then add their 2FA  app (think they call it google vault).  Connect to paypal and generate the qr code or whatever paypal produces to pair an 2FA app to their api.  Wherever you have wifi, you should have up-to-date 2FA.

Thank you to everyone for your kind suggestions, you have given me some possibilities.

Which sellers actually require sms id?
I believe the usual suspects (RS, Mouser, Digi, Farnell) do not require it.
I also believe they have the possibility of bankdraft payment, with a little more delay.
I received an email from Farnell telling me to expect sms confirmation in the future, which prompted me to write the post.

Can't you use a surrogate for those who require it? I'd be happy to do that for you; I would just need to create an additional delivery address.
Abbey, that is very kind and generous of you, I may take you up on that.

I realised just the other day how crime has changed over the years.  There are no more bank robberies, it has all gone online,  only hopeless druggies commit burglaries to finance their habit nowadays.

DaveP

Back