• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD: Classic Solo V2 PCB built and working + toroidal transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humner

I bought this from Ian (ruffrecords) many years ago + one of his custom made toroidal transformer for it.

Here is the original sales post from Ian - Classic Solo V2 PCB built and working

Its sat on my shelf, unused since then. I think its best to pass it on to someone who will actually use it. here is Ian's original description

"I have a Classic Solo V2 board surplus to requirements. This is the one I did all the hum tests on. It has a couple of cut tracks that I have now replaced with wire links. Completely built, no components missed out. All you need is a couple of 6922 tubes, enclosure, mains and output transformer and some XLRs and you are ready to go. Includes the Sowter 1948C custom mic transformer they make for me , complete working phantom and HT supplies and PCB connectors. Currently wired for 6.3VAC heater but links can be changed for 12VAC operation."

I paid 130 pounds including the custom made toroidal transformer and shipping. I will ask the same - $235aus shipped anywhere. Open to offers

I'm based in Sydney Australia.

Last edited:
Bumping this up with some photos, you can see where Ian scratched the trace and soldered back up with jumpers. Happy to take reasonable offers for this!

Attachments

• 1649050185661.jpg
    1649050185661.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 45
  • 1649050185653.jpg
    1649050185653.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 1649050185637.jpg
    1649050185637.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 1649050185645.jpg
    1649050185645.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 46
Would love to know how "dirty" this thing can get. Everything thats in the rack right now is pretty clean or colored/pretty. Would love something warm-n-fuzzy (with more emphasis on the fuzziness). Maybe @ruffrecords (Ian) can elaborate. I read the original thread and was following it for a long time and completely forgot about it.

It can get pretty dirty. It has two two identical stages with no negative feedback so the character is entirely determined by the tubes. Then there are two ways to configure the circuit of each stage. One way is as a mu follower. This gives slightly more gain and lower distortion. The other way is as an SRPP which gives less gain and a lot more distortion. I have used the SRPP configuration without negative feedback in the "tube tone" boxes I have built. The harder you drive this kind of stage the more tube colour you get. So you put a pot between the two stages to adjust the drive to the second stage (where most of the distortion is produced) and add a pot to the secondary of the output transformer to tame the output level.

Cheers

Ian

Sydney’er,

I’d accept with a unobstrusive add-on (pm me if still available, would you).
Bless up

Latest posts

Back