• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

[SOLD] DIY Microphone body M49-style based on MXL990

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alhe

DIY M49-style microphone body. Based on the MXL990. I started this project back in November. The body was given a full overhaul including a nice hammer-paint finish and a K47-style capsule (not included).  The listing includes the original MXL preamp, which is based on the Schoeps circuit. I was going to rebuild the amp, but the project was ultimately shelved because of too many DIY projects. Finally, I was able to sort out the worst ringing problems with the original body. The body is internally damped.

The PCB is SMD and is a little hacked up with new film caps in a couple of places, but still works. There are some minor noise issues and the designer of the board even gave a couple hints on how to improve the circuit when I posted over at Gearslutz. Personally, I would build a 'FET 847' or a tube circuit, or you can use it as is. Michael Joly also sold a modded version of the stock mic for a while. If rebuilding is something you'd like to pursuit I can include a 3U Audio 9,5:1 transformer for an additional 30 EUR.

The grille has been hammered into shape. Please note that it has some glue residue that wasn't shown in the pictures, but overall looks decent enough.

The listing includes the original hard case and the original MXL shockmount.

EUR49 + shipping/PP

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/1237513-mxl-990-diy-microphone-re-build.html

Attachments

• IMG_6602 – Kopi.JPG
    IMG_6602 – Kopi.JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 120
Profile:

Attachments

• IMG_6608 - kopi.jpg
    IMG_6608 - kopi.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 48
Front:

Attachments

• IMG_6606 – Kopi.JPG
    IMG_6606 – Kopi.JPG
    341.9 KB · Views: 53
I'd be interested if you're shipping from europe!

Is it possible to lift the badge without damaging the paint?

:)

Luka

I am in Europe.  :)

I reckon it would be simple enough. It's being held in place by a mild double-sided tape. I will lift it for you if you are interested.

hi is there a capsule included then?
I'm a little confused! I'm in Finland, what would the shipping roughly be?

Manu

The capsule is not included. The stock circuit board is compatible with K47- and C12-style capsules.

Shipping to Europe (flat rate) is 16 EUR.

You hammered that into shape? How the hell? It looks amazing and totally professional.  (from the outside anyway) Great job.

I've got a Gefell M7 capsule looking for a home. Would it fit? I've also got the DIY U87 pcb - again, would it fit? There's no switch on the microphone body, right?

Thank you, JW.

Living sounds, your M7 capsule would be a great fit. I would consider pairing the M7 with a linear impedance converter/amp, like the U47 FET or FET847 circuit. A  well designed transformerless Schoeps style circuit will also work. Your U87 pcb might have built-in EQ correction.  There is no switch.

Hi, Living Sounds and sorry for late reply. The microphone body was sold to another member, but just to give you an answer; It looks like it will fit a similar body, but you would have to measure the base to be sure. I would keep the original Gefell mount in your project.

Latest posts

Back