Soldering Station with fume extractor over the tip

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saint gillis

Hi,
I'm using a Weller WS 81 station with the included WSP80 iron.

I saw Weller was producing a metal pipe you can clip over the WSP80 iron to extract the fume, part ref is T0052918699N
FE-Retrofit kit Ø 6.5mm for WSP 80, WP 80, WMP Soldering Iron

There's also the FE75 iron with the metal pipe directly included.
Where do you plug the silicon pipe to pump the air? I have some difficulties to find detailed information/tutorials..

I belive this is the pump that works with the tip-extractor: WFE
Not exactly cheap. I use the same/similar extractor tip on my LR21-iron (EC2002 station), I luckily scored a pump from a Sealed Air bag-blowing machine that had died from overvoltage. I sort of kludged the connection for the tubes.

The pump is a Thomas 150112 diaphragm compressor: 150112 Thomas Oil-less Linear Diaphragm Compressor / Vacuum. There is one on ebay, I saw.
You turn it on with a switch, I have mine (switch) on the floor for foot operation. Not a very pleasant sound but does the job pretty well. I've just placed the pump a fair bit away. no filters in it, but seems ok after a few years of use (not daily, but a fair amount of use)

But:
1. the solder stand doesn't work,
2. when changing tips, it's a bit tricky to get e.g. beveled tips to be at the right orientation. You can normally rotate the extractor easily, but mine was sliding backwards away from the tip too much so I've attached it more solidly, so now it doesn't rotate. I've set the length to where my bigger tips are, fine tips I use for SMD and that doesn't produce as much fumes.
3. the tip can be in the way when soldering inside enclosures or nearby large components. Still worth it.

Power is just some Mean Well 12V thing in a (slightly too small, so ventilated) aluminium enclosure.

45881A4D-FAC3-462C-9BB8-EA9EA2BCA4EC_1_105_c.jpeg

034F2428-9C3C-4A6E-85F1-5FCA692AF6EC_1_105_c.jpeg

edit: hey, neat, the cable and tube in the pictures align :-D

Why not use a reverse fan and blow the dust right out of the window?
The industry does this and I once worked for Bosch soldering. They collected the fume in a pipe and it was exhausted by underpressure right out of the window. Best practice and most effective!

Back