Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoved a flat K47 in an old Royer-modded MXL yesterday.

Haven't had time to really audition it yet, but just speaking into it to verify life was pretty encouraging.

I'll be back in about a week and will have a chance to really try it out.

I shoved a flat K47 in an old Royer-modded MXL yesterday.

Haven't had time to really audition it yet, but just speaking into it to verify life was pretty encouraging.

I'll be back in about a week and will have a chance to really try it out.
Let me know what you think!

After some thinking, shipping is now free.

I will!

I'll add that I was very impressed by the look and feel of the capsule. With full understanding that the one it replaced was a different style, from a different era, and probably a substantially-different price point... the visual impression of quality from your cap was several levels above.

It felt like it belonged more in the league of the Tim Campbell and Thiersch capsules I've installed.

I will!

I'll add that I was very impressed by the look and feel of the capsule. With full understanding that the one it replaced was a different style, from a different era, and probably a substantially-different price point... the visual impression of quality from your cap was several levels above.

It felt like it belonged more in the league of the Tim Campbell and Thiersch capsules I've installed.
The build and assembly quality is indeed quite a bit better than other capsules out there. At the beginning of this thread you said that this kind of consistency could obsolete the matched pair, and kingkorg tested some randos for me and showed them vs one of the first flat k47 capsules from 2 years ago:
53115-247bf58acb20eb4edcceeb6992300e21.jpg
there is no need to pre-match pairs of these capsules, you are correct. Even any 2 capsules each from any batch are close enough to be considered a matched pair. If you bought one 2 years ago, you could buy another one now and they would still be matched.

The build and assembly quality is indeed quite a bit better than other capsules out there. At the beginning of this thread you said that this kind of consistency could obsolete the matched pair, and kingkorg tested some randos for me and showed them vs one of the first flat k47 capsules from 2 years ago:
View attachment 101395
there is no need to pre-match pairs of these capsules, you are correct. Even any 2 capsules each from any batch are close enough to be considered a matched pair. If you bought one 2 years ago, you could buy another one now and they would still be matched.
Dissregard that 60hz "i don't even know what to call it" 🤣
It's a calibration artefact.
180° measurement is just descriptive, as i don't use real anechoic chamber.

@soliloqueen , I'm wondering if you nailed the parameters of the k47 used in m149 with this "flat47". Very different response compared to m147 for example.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221210_072529.jpg
    Screenshot_20221210_072529.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 2
it's kind of funny that people complain about the construction of "chinese capsules" and yet lust after the brass k67, which is built exactly like a modern chinese capsule. here are some pictures from the teardown of the reference capsule for the k87
photo_2022-12-10_13-58-28.jpg
aluminum spacer, check
photo_2022-12-10_13-58-28 (2).jpg
glued diaphragm...check...

certified chinese capsule ;)

photo_2022-12-10_13-58-27.jpg
the weirdest thing of note, these are for making sure the backplates go on in the correct orientation. they got rid of them. the side grooves make terminating the back plate so hard on anything other than the original mount, which is why i ditched them.

Last edited:
it's kind of funny that people complain about the construction of "chinese capsules" and yet lust after the brass k67, which is built exactly like a modern chinese capsule. here are some pictures from the teardown of the reference capsule for the k87
View attachment 101502
aluminum spacer, check
View attachment 101503
glued diaphragm...check...

certified chinese capsule ;)

View attachment 101504
the weirdest thing of note, these are for making sure the backplates go on in the correct orientation. once they realized they're kind of pointless, they got rid of them. the side grooves make terminating the back plate so hard on anything other than the original mount, which is why i ditched them.
Interesting to see how this one doesn't have the spacer cut to let some air in, something Neumann, I guess, introduced later.

Also big respect for not just bashing the Chinese and mystifying the "glorious german product", or yours for that matter.

Interesting to see how this one doesn't have the spacer cut to let some air in, something Neumann, I guess, introduced later.

Also big respect for not just bashing the Chinese and mystifying the "glorious german product", or yours for that matter.
it does, the cut in the spacer is in the center. not under the diaphragms

the real reason chinese capsules sound different on average isn't because of any magical property of the materials, it's because most of them mess up extremely basic stuff like through hole size. they're not badly made, they're literally just doing the basics wrong.

Last edited:
I won't have time to test this for a while, but I can confirm that it looks great, was packed very well, and shipped promptly (y)
Awesome! As for shipping time, 99% of the time I do same day shipping. Usually it's packed up and in the outbox to be picked up within 20 minutes of getting an order.

Would love to hear some soundbytes of Solilo's flat 47 in a DEF-47 anyone🙏?
Here is a short quick acoustic clip.
Pre is an aml rack 1073 and the distance is about a foot and a half looking at neck/body join.
The environment is a little noisy and the guitar is a Yamaha without too much low end and high end..kinda mid forward around 2/3k.
The file is 24bit 44.1k raw

Attachments

• flat k47 d-ef47.wav
    4.9 MB
Here is a short quick acoustic clip.
Pre is an aml rack 1073 and the distance is about a foot and a half looking at neck/body join.
The environment is a little noisy and the guitar is a Yamaha without too much low end and high end..kinda mid forward around 2/3k.
The file is 24bit 44.1k raw
gdiy is doing that annoying thing again...can you upload it elsewhere

Back