Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a such thing as being too sensitive to low frequencies. I've heard the flat k47 bottom out from the change in air pressure opening the booth door. it trends towards omni in the bass and extends very low. the capsule is basically a barometer below 50hz. I would be curious to hear it, but it might be a bit much
How can I order? Link please? Thank you! (Again, nice job)

Hey, I've searched through practically the whole thread and I seem to be missing something rather vital... Where is the site for ordering the capsules?

Thanks!

Here are a couple of tracks.
Miktek CV4 with FlatK47 and 3U M7 --> Manley Slam Pre --> Apogee AD16

Disclaimer: This song is a cover (Stand In Your Love: Josh Baldwin). I recorded this for my own comparison only, so don't hate. If it's useful for you, enjoy. :)

https://on.soundcloud.com/NMfJq
https://on.soundcloud.com/4YLfs
Sounds almost like a ribbon. The thing that sticks out to me most about this A/B demo is that all the frequencies you’d normally want to notch out with eq or use a desser on are not there in the flat 47 example. I dig. Wonder how that flat 47 track would take some eq, now.

Sounds almost like a ribbon. The thing that sticks out to me most about this A/B demo is that all the frequencies you’d normally want to notch out with eq or use a desser on are not there in the flat 47 example. I dig. Wonder how that flat 47 track would take some eq, now.
Yeah, ribbon-ish but stiII etched, and what IS there is what is aImost never there unIess you have a reaIIy great mic, which is a paIpabIe and reaI Iower mid body that feeIs physicaI and makes the tone carry emotion. Woody humming that feeIs Iike being there, the kind of thing that makes it easier for a vocaIist to make the words mean something, get to you. I can't wait to buiId this thing up.

Yeah, ribbon-ish but stiII etched, and what IS there is what is aImost never there unIess you have a reaIIy great mic, which is a paIpabIe and reaI Iower mid body that feeIs physicaI and makes the tone carry emotion. Woody humming that feeIs Iike being there, the kind of thing that makes it easier for a vocaIist to make the words mean something, get to you. I can't wait to buiId this thing up.
That area is usually very, very similar in most LDC capsules. However you have to dial the high, and low end in order low mids to shine.

The body of a mic can have more effect on this area than the capsule.

That area is usually very, very similar in most LDC capsules. However you have to dial the high, and low end in order low mids to shine.

It will be interesting to try it on a few different bodies and circuits. I have C1’s, Fet47’s, and upcoming u47 & m49 tube builds I plan to try it in. I do like it with this km84 circuit though. The idea of the user who put theirs into a Miktek Cv4 with the tele ef800 tube sounds like a great idea.

Yeah weII I am hearing the same thing in both the T47 and the tube mic. CompIeteIy different bodies AND circuits, yet this capsuIe gives that weight thing to both.

Asking as a noob... Before I installed the flat K47, I was admiring the build of the capsule and noticed that I couldn't see any holes on the backplate. Is that generally what makes this capsule "flat"?

I'm a noob to microphone mods
( I've only done an Apex 460 fox mod kit and a peluso cek-89 that I got cheap from someone who found out they couldn't solder )

Electrically, can I just drop in replace Soliloqueens K47 into any of these ?
the modded Apex 460, Rode K2, WA-47jr

I'd like to start to listen to the differences between capsules.
Then move on to circuit and other mods/builds.

I'm a noob to microphone mods
( I've only done an Apex 460 fox mod kit and a peluso cek-89 that I got cheap from someone who found out they couldn't solder )

Electrically, can I just drop in replace Soliloqueens K47 into any of these ?
the modded Apex 460, Rode K2, WA-47jr

I'd like to start to listen to the differences between capsules.
Then move on to circuit and other mods/builds.
Yes you can. And be aware this mod with capsule swapping will be the most obvious one, one that will translate very well into what you are recording, or producing. Once you go further to the circuit you will be stepping into the world of diminishing returns. Out of these three i would change the Apex460 capsule.

Latest posts

Back