Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks King! Goosebumps is what I always aim for. I really am loving the sound of this capsule. That high end handles sibilants so well, especially for the kind of close-mic'd stuff I do and it just sounds so big. The "Flat" 47 just blows me away.

Totally agree, an engineer friend is using a mic with the Flat 47 daily, prefering it over M149. Totally amazing to think that this not simply a 'clone' but has transcended new original K47 capsules in my opinion in almost all aspects, especially build quality. Sound wise comparable to the best selected vintage K47 capsules available. Just look at it, this is build like a Rolls-Royce whereas the original is like a nice Porsche.

Want to build a true U47 clone without VF14?
Flat 47 capsule -> Phaedrus Spirit tube in basic U47 circuit (7-10 components) + Moby BV8 -> Acustica audio Lava using U47->U47 setting.

Will post some demo's soon. The Spirit tube gets you 90% of the U47 sound, already closer than most clones using alternative tubes, but with very close monitoring some will miss 2nd and 3rd harmonic disortion and as measurements in another thread showed some tube microphonics. Lava can model all these effects easily, the Volterra kernels are the best approach for the non-lineair audio effects.

While the Slate VMS and Sphere are quite nice, probably using simple convolution (Sphere) and dynamic convolution (Slate), Acustica audio is really on another level, just try it out. The closer the input sound the better the end result. Even using an U87 as input the U47 model is just mind blowing..try it out!
By the way, you can use the Sphere L22/ UAD DLX/LX using the flat setting as input for Lava with no corrective input EQ needed, essentialy replacing the aging Sphere technology.

Last edited:
Totally agree, an engineer friend is using a mic with the Flat 47 daily, prefering it over M149. Totally amazing to think that this not simply a 'clone' but has transcended new original K47 capsules in my opinion in almost all aspects, especially build quality. Sound wise comparable to the best selected vintage K47 capsules available. Just look at it, this is build like a Rolls-Royce whereas the original is like a nice Porsche.

Want to build a true U47 clone without VF14?
Flat 47 capsule -> Phaedrus Spirit tube in basic U47 circuit (7-10 components) + Moby BV8 -> Acustica audio Lava using U47->U47 setting.

Will post some demo's soon. The Spirit tube gets you 90% of the U47 sound, already closer than most clones using alternative tubes, but with very close monitoring some will miss 2nd and 3rd harmonic disortion and as measurements in another thread showed some tube microphonics. Lava can model all these effects easily, the Volterra kernels are the best approach for the non-lineair audio effects.

While the Slate VMS and Sphere are quite nice, probably using simple convolution (Sphere) and dynamic convolution (Slate), Acustica audio is really on another level, just try it out. The closer the input sound the better the end result. Even using an U87 as input the U47 model is just mind blowing..try it out!
By the way, you can use the Sphere L22/ UAD DLX/LX using the flat setting as input for Lava with no corrective input EQ needed, essentialy replacing the aging Sphere technology.
Thanks for this Lava thing, i wasn't aware of it. Slate, even though i use it, went over the top with this dynamic part of the emulation. Use one take on two channels with identical VMS model, flip the phase on one, and you can hear all kinds of crazy stuff going on. No way this would happen in analog domain. THD is also through the roof, so you have to be careful with levels.

Thanks for this Lava thing, i wasn't aware of it. Slate, even though i use it, went over the top with this dynamic part of the emulation. Use one take on two channels with identical VMS model, flip the phase on one, and you can hear all kinds of crazy stuff going on. No way this would happen in analog domain. THD is also through the roof, so you have to be careful with levels.
Curious what your opinion is on it, when starting with ideal input like Earthworks M30 or Sphere flat curve, I truly cannot distinguish it from my U87.
The sampled libraries are 4+ Gb, impressive considering the Volterra kernels are much more efficient in modelling curves than classic dynamic convolution.

My love letter to the Flat K47. This capsule is so impressive!

Not to disparage the K47, its maker or anyone who likes that sound, but:
A. Somebody really Really REALLY loves his own voice! HA
B. And the proximity effect.
C. How much processing is there before it gets to my laptop on YT? I'm hearing: Hairball Gold > Then into an Apollo > Precision De-esser > Neve 88Rs > Oxford Dyn EQ > CVox > Neve DFC then YT mpwhatever so I have no idea how that mic sounds clean.
I don't think that does Ari justice. Just my $.02.

Just wondering what would we be creating if there never was a U47? Would we have invented a mic that is what we hear in the U47 a gold standard?

Not to disparage the K47, its maker or anyone who likes that sound, but:
A. Somebody really Really REALLY loves his own voice! HA
B. And the proximity effect.
C. How much processing is there before it gets to my laptop on YT? I'm hearing: Hairball Gold > Then into an Apollo > Precision De-esser > Neve 88Rs > Oxford Dyn EQ > CVox > Neve DFC then YT mpwhatever so I have no idea how that mic sounds clean.
I don't think that does Ari justice. Just my $.02.

Just wondering what would we be creating if there never was a U47? Would we have invented a mic that is what we hear in the U47 a gold standard?
LOLOL Of course I love the sound of my own voice. I do VO for a living every day. You have to love the sound of your own voice or you're way wicked f-d. Doesn't matter to me if you don't like it. This is a sound that will make $$. That's the single most important consideration for my usage. On my channel, this is a variation of the main VO chain I use on everything, so those who know, get it. What I present in every video is the optimal pro VO sound I can achieve, the mic's full potential. Sorry you didn't like it, but you're obviously not my demographic.
And if you have something to REALLY say, say it to me directly, not addressed to "someone", unless you don't have the stones to do so.

Last edited:
@soliloqueen -would you post a pic of the capsule mount that you provide with your capsules? I'm on tour and hoping to have all parts sourced for my build with the intention of finishing it between runs. Very excited to use your capsule in the M49 circuit I'm building!

LOLOL Of course I love the sound of my own voice. I do VO for a living every day. You have to love the sound of your own voice or you're way wicked f-d. Doesn't matter to me if you don't like it. This is a sound that will make $$. That's the single most important consideration for my usage. On my channel, this is a variation of the main VO chain I use on everything, so those who know, get it. What I present in every video is the optimal pro VO sound I can achieve, the mic's full potential. Sorry you didn't like it, but you're obviously not my demographic.
And if you have something to REALLY say, say it to me directly, not addressed to "someone", unless you don't have the stones to do so.
Enjoyed the vid review, sounds KILLER! Great to hear real world processed examples of this capsule in use

I seem to have stepped in it. Please excuse my ignorance but I didn't know who you are or that you're on this board, Mr. Wordsushi. Not about my stones, I said it.

You've got the pipes, I like your voice. It just struck me funny the way you're making love to the mike or yourself! I have announcer friends at WQXR and CD109 in NYC and a female one at WGBH. I get it. I just don't live in that world.

I'm a jazz bassist and had a jazz studio in Manhattan for about 20 years. We did mostly jazz, demos, no VO and that was in the late 90s before I left. Not much "make up' for acoustic music needed with good instruments, mics, adcs and great players.

As I said, you've great pipes and you're an actor in sho biz so hype is part of the trade like the audio processing "make-up" for your metaphorical close up. I've heard too many right wing talk show hosts with all the vocal make up spewing hate rhetoric, so I'm wary of that sound. But your pipes are awesome and you know your craft well. The grey hairs earn respect, gravitas.

You're right, I'm not your demographic for your VO, I'm not in advertising. I'm several generations removed. But I know good sound. And I'm learning something from your video and I appreciate it. No harm intended.

Me? I have a face made for radio and a voice for morse code so let's get off on a better foot.

I'd like to know your process for assessing a mic.
Do you have any raw audio of that mic? Mic>pre>adc?
How do you assess the sound in your cans while you talk live? Live or did you record something else and talk about that?
How do you assess sibilants with a de-esser? Or maybe that was someone else who mentioned it?
What's the quality of the youtube vid? AAC mp3 Wave 24/96? I just would like to know what the make up and the delivery pipe's are made up of.
No wind screen. It is de-popped, too?
Sorry but the fidelity on the YT just was not great. Probably YT's fault.
Thanks for hearing me out.

I'd like to know your process for assessing a mic.
Do you have any raw audio of that mic? Mic>pre>adc?
How do you assess the sound in your cans while you talk live? Live or did you record something else and talk about that?
How do you assess sibilants with a de-esser? Or maybe that was someone else who mentioned it?
What's the quality of the youtube vid? AAC mp3 Wave 24/96? I just would like to know what the make up and the delivery pipe's are made up of.
No wind screen. It is de-popped, too?
Sorry but the fidelity on the YT just was not great. Probably YT's fault.
Thanks for hearing me out.
Why didn't you say you were a jazz bassist? Jazz bassists get a free pass to talk sh*t about me. Dude, my apologies for getting all snippy on you. Sometimes I take my work/self too seriously that I scare myself. We good.
So, funny you should ask. Long story short, these YouTube videos I've been doing have mostly been about really figuring out my process for assessing a mic. I use the comments I get as a focus group, or control, to better understand what other people are hearing and respond to. You get to a point where you start to lose trust in your own ears, so this helps me dial in on identifying what characteristics or nuances will work best for my gig. Like many, I've been on a ToneQuest for years, but over the last year I've finally honed in on what I'm looking for.
The reason I record straight to DAW with a fully produced sound is because it greatly increases the speed of the workflow to not have to do any post. It's a process that evolved from doing a lot of "turn and burn" commercials that often have to be out the door asap. And I use primarily the UAD ecosystem so I can cut and monitor live with all my plug ins so I already know what the finished product will sound like going in. This is also crucial for live sessions with clients as most of them expect to hear something finished sounding even during recording. There's actually very little compression and EQ is spread across several plugs to optimize what I like best from each. A lot of it is taming booth resonances and then CVox makes it dead silent and DFC adds that broadcast glue.
So, ultimately, a mic that works best for me is one that sounds great through the chain. The De-essing settings come from a the same process. It's always dialed in a certain way with a little play in the threshold depending upon how sibilant I am. I don't use a pop filter. I don't like how they sound and I don't need it blocking my eyeline for reading copy. I have a video somewhere on my channel about how to learn how to not pop your p's. It takes a little practice, but you can master it in about two weeks or less.
Not sure what the YT audio spec is, but probably AAC. It's crap, but the citizens accept it, so as much as I don't like it, it's a modern standard.

Holy Vox, Batman. Can you hear me now? Thanks for the comradery and education! "We cool."

So it's all in the box except the pop filter. You treat the system as a whole entity, it's not just the mic. I would guess your settings are a trade secret, not that I need to know.

Windoze or Mac?

Thanks for taking the time. Did you do the mic DIY with the K47 capsule? Where did you get the U47 body? I guess for close miking the rear screen can reflect, and work against you as in the 67.

Any national TV commercials I might hear you on?

Thanks,

Geo

Holy Vox, Batman. Can you hear me now? Thanks for the comradery and education! "We cool."

So it's all in the box except the pop filter. You treat the system as a whole entity, it's not just the mic. I would guess your settings are a trade secret, not that I need to know.

Windoze or Mac?

Thanks for taking the time. Did you do the mic DIY with the K47 capsule? Where did you get the U47 body? I guess for close miking the rear screen can reflect, and work against you as in the 67.

Any national TV commercials I might hear you on?

Thanks,

Geo
Well, I don't want to derail the thread, nor do I want to make it all about me, since this should all reflect @soliloqueen's glorious work, but let me answer your questions. My chain and settings are something I put out there. I have videos that detail my chain and why I use the plugs I do.
I use a Mac mini. I'm only ever recording one mono track at a time so I'm not leaning heavily on it.
I did DIY the mic. The body is one of those generic 47-style bodies from Aliexpress. About $140 shipped. Currently, no national spots but there's a good chance if you hear an Allstate commercial that has an end tag localized to a specific agent in a specific town, that's probably me. I do a lot of local and regional work all across the US and in other parts of the world. Credit unions, gardening centers, tire shops, lots of concert and live event promos. I stay non-union so I can get more work, so that excludes a lot of national work. I did just get cast on a tv pilot, so I try not to pigeon hole myself into one genre, which is why I'm always looking for mics to fit certain styles of reads and this particular mic with the "Flat" K47 fits into the toolkit.

The reason I don't post "raw" audio is there are weird resonances and reflections in my tiny Studiobricks One booth that you wouldn't hear in a larger room. That's why I use the plug ins I do to rein it all in and turn it into great sounding work product. Here's a link to an example of how it all works, cut through this mic.

How my chain works

There's quite a difference. The 67 is smoother on upper midrange on up. The Katana is crisper in that territory, more presence and probably better for intelligibility. I assume you kept switching mics as you turned your head.

And death doesn't give a damn.

@Wordsushi
Thanks for videos and your contribution to DIY microphones community.

Any chance to you can test flat 47 in tube mic?
I'm in between Arienne and SWT7 for my next tube mic project.
Keep rocking!

Don't forget the 3u M7. Nice capsule
Yes, I saw demo of 3U M7.
Sounds great!
A bit worried about QC from the ones available on eBay, AliExpress, Walmart... and return from EU is not an option.
Unless you have to recommend reliable source?
If buying it directly from 3U the price with import fees and shipping from China comes close to SWT7.

Latest posts

Back