Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about K67 capsules today I just ran across this photo of my first K67 capsule that I built using aluminum backplates and acrylic insulator so that I could use mylar that was completely coated. The schematic in the background says 1999 but I believe this pic is from 2001/2002

View attachment 106412
this is awesome!! :D

Well thanks . That was more than 20 years ago on the old forum. It sounded good but it was a little easy to make so I decided to concentrate on the CK12 because at that time people said it couldn't be made.

For the K67 Jakob scanned a K67 capsule that I had, I glued the photo onto the backplate and just used a drill press to make the backplate. Jakob found the red acrylic on a scrap heap. I used aluminum metalized mylar from a capacitor for the membrane. I lapped it on a piece of glass with fine grits of sandpaper. I think I still have it somewhere. At that time I was making all kinds of crazy capsules

Last edited:
Well thanks . That was more than 20 years ago on the old forum. It sounded good but it was a little easy to make so I decided to concentrate on the CK12 because at that time people said it couldn't be made.

For the K67 Jakob scanned a K67 capsule that I had, I glued the photo onto the backplate and just used a drill press to make the backplate. Jakob found the red acrylic on a scrap heap. I used aluminum metalized mylar from a capacitor for the membrane. I lapped it on a piece of glass with fine grits of sandpaper. I think I still have it somewhere. At that time I was making all kinds of crazy capsules
I also tried lapping on a Glas surface with fine sandpaper but could not get very good results... can you remember how flat you got with that technique?

I did not measure by light bands at that time but I used a very thick piece of tempered glass, used a felt tip pen to see low spots and polished it out to 1200 grit. On this type capsule you have a center connection so no one large area is exposed to the backplate. small variations will not affect it much.

What's about Dany's D7 capsule? Anyone used it?
I recently built an EF47 and tried it with the Flat 47 then Dany's D7. Both sounded great, but I ended up with the D7 just because it fits my voice and what I think my general needs for the mic will be in the long run. I also have a 47FET with a D7 in it and another with the Flat 47. They actually sound somewhat similar with that circuit- though I really need to do more close comparisons.

@soliloqueen,
Psyched about having just purchased your K87 to put in my D87 build. Currently, I have a 3u Audio W7 in there, which I do like, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I have a vague recollection of you mentioning at some point that the 3u's have an added resonance because of the way they are drilled?

Now, when I put the D87 up against a TLM-67 (which of course isn't a perfect analog to an 87) I hear some of that Neumann midrange richness missing in the D87. I tried to search for this comment regarding the 3u design, but couldn't find it, so I was wondering if it is indeed true and I'm not imagining seeing it, (and hearing it in the mic), if you could confirm.

I'm guessing of course, 3u may have slightly altered the original Neumann backplate design just enough for legal reasons, but I was hoping to know more if there is more to know. Very much looking forward to trying your K87 to see if I can get this mic sounding even more wonderful and authentic.

@soliloqueen,
Psyched about having just purchased your K87 to put in my D87 build. Currently, I have a 3u Audio W7 in there, which I do like, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I have a vague recollection of you mentioning at some point that the 3u's have an added resonance because of the way they are drilled?

Now, when I put the D87 up against a TLM-67 (which of course isn't a perfect analog to an 87) I hear some of that Neumann midrange richness missing in the D87. I tried to search for this comment regarding the 3u design, but couldn't find it, so I was wondering if it is indeed true and I'm not imagining seeing it, (and hearing it in the mic), if you could confirm.

I'm guessing of course, 3u may have slightly altered the original Neumann backplate design just enough for legal reasons, but I was hoping to know more if there is more to know. Very much looking forward to trying your K87 to see if I can get this mic sounding even more wonderful and authentic.
there are no legal protections on the capsule. he altered it to make it less bright so that it wouldn't sound too bright in flat circuits, so you need to adjust the NFB to get it to sound even, but that also changes the mid response.

there are no legal protections on the capsule. he altered it to make it less bright so that it wouldn't sound too bright in flat circuits, so you need to adjust the NFB to get it to sound even, but that also changes the mid response.
Thanks. I was under the impression that the W1 was the dark K87 variant and the W7 the brighter one. Do you know if the 3u W7 is also less bright than your K87 as well?

Hello all.
I really got inspired with all the posts in this thread, how people are comming together to support something like this.
@soliloqueen great admiration for what You are doing.

I have question, maybe the boring one, but, When flat47 capsules are going to be available for shipping? And, will You update website with capsule's new beautiful look? :D I really like them with new tension rings.

Also, You mentioned that flet47 maybe is not perfect fit for u47 fet circuit, have anyone tried this and can share experience? I kannot remember this info from 32 pages of posts (one cannot read this in 1 day if wants to understands everything written - congrats to everyone for great contribution to this thread, really really good informations for someone interested in mic builds overal, not only in soliloqueen's capsules). Maybe I should read all the pages once again just to renew lessons learned :D.

Latest posts

Back