Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the flat K47 installed and was able to get the Thiersch Blue line M7 as well (6 month wait!).
These are different capsules obviously, but I know the blue line works really well for me, nice reference comparison. Also have a U47 pair to try.
Initial impression is the flat K47 sounds really good - nice natural tone. Nice off-axis tone.
More testing Saturday.

PXL_20230428_020157425.jpg

I have the flat K47 installed and was able to get the Thiersch Blue line M7 as well (6 month wait!).
These are different capsules obviously, but I know the blue line works really well for me, nice reference comparison. Also have a U47 pair to try.
Initial impression is the flat K47 sounds really good - nice natural tone. Nice off-axis tone.
More testing Saturday.

View attachment 108580
Those are beautiful boards!

More testing Saturday.
I'd be very interested in hearing a comparison between these two. The blue Thiersch had been on wish list for a long time, to put in my D47. I eventually went with the flat K47 when I learned about it and saw the positive reviews.

I finally got my hands on the k87 capsule and I really like it! I hope to share some recording of me playing classical guitar as soon I can get to the church where I usually record.. unfortunately my livingroom is too noisy

I hit a little snag - while testing both mics the D87 seemed to have low output and big hum. I've opened it up today, measured all the connections but didn't find anything suspicious. I'm assuming the body didn't make proper contact to ground, because after closing it up again it seems to behave as it should. I did use the opportunity to change C6 to its intended value, apparently I put in a different value to compensate for the Maiku capsule.

The little testing I did with the D-EF47 was a very pleasant surprise. But I'll give my very subjective review when I had the chance to put both of them through their paces.

Last edited:
I have had the hum happen to me also. It was the middle body of the mic not bonding to the rest of the mic due to the coating on the body. I took some light grit sand paper and took off the coating on the top and the bottom edge of the middle section. I never had the hum after doing that.

I have the K87 and I am going to use it in a Mellow Audio u87 build. I plan on using the K47 flat in a D-EF47.

That might do the trick. According to the spec sheet the hole is for M2 screws, and capsule screws are m1.6 or m1.4, but they still might work.
Ok those are the smallest I have found so far. I added 10 to my cart so I'll give them a shot next time I place an order. I'm one short at the moment and keep borrowing from Peter to pay Paul as they say. I'd like to have a few spares. I also need to order some 26AWG wire.

k87 orders are a little delayed while i figure out whether i want to wait for the fixings shop to have the insulated screws ready in order to reassemble the entire stock or fix returns instead. the capsules will likely be reassembled by me personally.

Edit:
Added flat $15 UPS option for international customers.
Are the current K87s coming with the insulated screws now?

Are the current K87s coming with the insulated screws now?
No, but the problem is unlikely to happen during shipping (less than 1% of orders) versus during construction. It's less bad than I originally predicted, so I'm just aligning them all by hand And they should stay that way forever in theory once locked in place. The screws are coming soon though just to make things easier on me and anyone who continues to run into problems can get a replacement capsule for free. It should be safe to order them again either way. Even though the problem is very unlikely with the current procedure, the engineer in me still hesitates to call it a full resolution until I've replaced the screws.

Latest posts

Back