Some B3 mastery I ran into on the 'Tube

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fo sho'

This one (linked from the above) is more than worth the 85 seconds it takes to watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RS2LTKq9ss&feature=related

franklinh said:
fo sho'

This one (linked from the above) is more than worth the 85 seconds it takes to watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RS2LTKq9ss&feature=related

Yeah!  Nothing like using the Hammond as a combination drum kit and assault weapon!  That's about the style I used to play.  "Used to," as in spent too many years playing a Voce V3 module that way on a semiweighted Kurzweil controller.  A real destroyer of hands that was.  :'(  Take it from me, kids, don't try licks like that on anything other than a set of real Hammond waterfall manuals!

Dittos on the 'Groover kudos.  Jim got the chops!

Bob

Aw, thanks for the love, folks.  I've been playing the Hammond for 15 or more years now and it's such a great instrument!

I've been in a Jimmy McGriff mood lately.  I love his tone on those old Solid State LPs!

Stunning stuff!

-I must confess that I'm partial to the gnarly beast which Jon Lord unleashes from time to time also...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YJIgyJFIo0

I rebuilt a couple of his leslies once... They're DEFINITELY not stock!  ;D -They're bomb-proof!

Keith

SSLtech said:
I rebuilt a couple of his leslies once... They're DEFINITELY not stock!  ;D -They're bomb-proof!

Keith

You mean Leslie's (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, Marshall's)?  :D

No... Leslies.

He has a pair of leslies and a Marshall. The leslies are remote-amped and actively crossed-over. The speakers are hopped up: Peavey Black Widows in the LF and JBL 2482 drivers for the HF. The cabinets are "de-rattled" by sealing every seam with gum, and the inside is lined with resonance-damping material.

There's a LOT of juice fed into the speakers, and the extra vibrations will shake an un-treated cab into a rattly, buzzy mess in half a gig otherwise!

Keith

> beast which Jon Lord unleashes

Yeahbut... who is the white-haired gentleman sitting in Jon's seat?

Funny you put it that way, I had a similar feeling... -When I first met Jon his hair was already pure snow-white... -It took several days before I could 'accept' that he was the same 'lord' of a man who I used to watch, slackjawed...

He and Ian Paice married sisters... One return trip from the US (one of several in rapid succession) I wanted to 'smuggle' back a somewhat heavy gear-headed DC motor to make an EMT plate remote, but didn't want it to 'tear up' any of my luggage. Ian was about to throw out a large-ish suitcase -which had his initials on it. -He suggested that I take his case back with the motor in, and since it was about to be thrown away anyhow, it didn't matter if it got banged-up. -I was going to toss it once back home.

My mum was out of town for a month, so I'd agreed to stay at her house for the 2 weeks, water the plants, feed the cat, etc. -Since she'd lost her key recently, the locks had been changed, so she left a copy of the new key with the next door neighbour, and since this was a 'terraced' row-house, the front door was about four feet from her own.

I climbed out of the cab from the airport, knocked on the neighbour's door with the suitcases on my mum's doorstep, and 'Madge' (the neighbour) came to the door. -After a minute or two's chatting and catching up, she glanced at the large suitcase and said "You know, I used to know someone who had a case exactly like that one... -Same initials and everything... -Mister Paice, it was."

Since Ian Paice never lived within a hundred miles of my mother, I was flabbergasted that it turned out that she indeed did clean house for the Paices a few years earlier, when the case was new. -She knew Ian, Jon and Roger, as well as their wives, -though she did confide in me that she thought the music was a bit loud! ;)

Bizarre.

Anyhow... "the Plate remote worked, we found the M&M's, and Ozzy went on and did a great show!"

;)

Keith

Latest posts

Back