Source for XLR inserts? / Anti-non-standard rant

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khron

<insert expletives here>

So, a while ago, after modding/upgrading my CAD Trion 8000, i noticed that, when wiggling the 6-pin XLR cable where it was plugged in, i was getting some noise (a bit like a dirty pot, but not quite as "piercing" / crackling of a sound). I figured i'd replace the connectors at the ends of the cable, plus the ones in the power supply, for "peace of mind", as it were.  I mean, how much could go wrong with the connector inside the mic, right?

So last week i finally get around to ordering the new parts, they arrived today, and after i finished the day's work, i sat down to do the deed. The ones in the power supply were a bit fiddly (cramped quarters, short wires), but i did it.

Come testing time, when i wanted to plug the female connector into the mic, it wouldn't fit. What the hell?!? It's a plain ol' 6-pin XLR, dammit...

Couple minutes later, i noticed the issue - the ones in the mic / the old ones on the cable and in the power supply are indeed 6-pin XLR's, but the pin layout is, for some reason, MIRRORED compared to the brand new Neutriks i got.

<insert even more expletives here>

Deep breath...

Ok - apparently Switchcraft does indeed make, like, "stand-alone" XLR inserts, and the QG6M would be what i'd need - about 11$ a pop(!!!) at a couple of their US distributors. Eleven bucks, for a tiny piece of plastic; that's about as much as i paid for ONE (entire) Neutrik NC6-FXX...

Upon a bit more research, it seems that Switchcraft decided to use an a*s-backwards / non-standard pin layout, on their multipin XLR's? A look at the technical drawings would indicate that the stock connectors were *ahem* Switchcraft-compatible.

Or, well, the pin layout's virtually identical, but the "key ridge" is a good few degrees in the wrong direction.

I might've also found that Neutrik makes (or made?) the NCxMC-I series of inserts, but i can't confirm that, since even where i did find it for sale, there were no pictures.

Are there ANY manufacturers that make NON-"Switchcraft" inserts??? I know Amphenol also make decent connectors, but do they make (or sell) inserts alone?

Hmm... I just got a thought, after pasting together the attached photo - worst case, i guess i COULD grind off the key-ridge from the female XLR, so it can be plugged into the mic (albeit rotated a bit)...

Top of the photo: stock connector vs. Neutrik, both latches vertical
Bottom of the photo: ditto, but with the stock one rotated so the pins & numbers actually match

Attachments

• IMG_2123.JPG
    IMG_2123.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 17
http://www.neutrik.com/en/support/faq/why-does-my-6-pole-xlr-not-fit-into-the-neutrik-6-pole-xlr

Could you make short description, which xlr (or insert) where you want to put?
You can always go for 7 pin from each side :D

**sigh** Is it just me, or do (some) american companies just reject international standards, just for the hell of it???

Thanks for the information, though. Good luck finding -S parts, though >_<

It would be great if the 7-pin ones were symmetrical, but they're not :) Right now the only "odd" piece left is the male XLR insert in the mic itself. The male & female on the cable, and the female in the power supply (it's a tube mic) have all been replaced.

But yeah, like i mentioned, as far as i can figure, my best bet right now would be to grind down that key-ridge in the female plug that goes to the mic, so i can insert it slightly rotated, to the pins DO actually line up...

7 pin is symetrical and i had in mind to replace all connectors for 7 pin.
I believe there's no option for non switchraft inserts. Current amphenol/neutrik are to small to put it inside microphone.
Chinese 6pin which i had, where compatible with switchcraft.
You can look for old neutrik series. Ebay etc. Cable plug or chassis mount, these should fit

Unfortunately no, 7-pin XLR's are nowhere near symmetrical either.

http://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/d_f_series_cd.pdf

http://www.neutrik.com/zoolu-website/media/download/792/Drawing+NC7FXX

Ok, not symmetrical, but all are interchangeable - 6 pin aren't :)

I found solution for you - neutrik NC6MP - these are still available somewhere :)

Back