sources for rolls of thin PVC vinyl to build acoustic baffles

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klem

Fabrication question for forum/studio-adjacent topic - is there a website that sells rolls of thin PVC material in large sizes for building some hanging baffles? Ideally a roll of 50 yards x 50-60" wide 3-4 mil?

Most sites I've found focus on sign printing, I just want some solid color options that don't have additional properties for graphics transfer or printing. Also, if someone has experience with various bonding methods (impulse vs heat, clamshell vs roller... etc.) I'd be grateful to bounce a few questions off you.

Also, if anyone is aware of a forum that deals with PVC self-lamination, please DM! Thanks,

thanks john. unfortunately what i'm after is very thin PVC, not MLV. although it's technically for an acoustic purpose, the PVC film is not something that most acoustic online stores sell by itself. i'm looking for 3-4 mil thickness, very thin so it can still be effective as an absorber and not just reflect mids and highs. using PVC because of the environment, it needs to be water resistant. the PVC will be wrapped around semi-rigid fiberglass (primarily 24 x 48"), sealed, grommets added and suspended from ceiling. to do this, i need:

- a selection of solid color PVC on a roll, very thin / few mil, 50-60" wide
- dispenser holder / roller
- sealer (heat roller, heat clamshell, high frequency / impulse sealer)

mcmaster carr comes close as a retailer to what i'm looking for, but i need a greater selection of both the PVC and assembling items like the right size stand rollers for dispensing the PVC and sealers (heat roller or something that can seal 50" in a single go, that really narrows selection on some of the sign supplier shops). i'm looking for a supplier similar to mcmaster carr, i am just not not finding the places with my searches. there has to be some shop that's something between arts and crafts, industrial, and sign / banner making, but i don't need or want printable surfaces, and hoping someone else here may have knowledge of such a place, it's amazing the diversity of day jobs people have here!

oh, and US48 location is most preferable.

I wonder whether Naugahyde would be suitable for your purposes? It has a sort of textile backing, but it's a durable, water-resistant, upholstery-friendly vinyl product.

It's available in many colors and finishes (and textures) from just about any large fabric retailer, on rolls in the width you need.

With the backing it may be a bit thicker than you want; not sure the thickness of the vinyl itself.

Many retailers will allow you to order swatches for a nominal cost (often just shipping) so you could investigate the properties to see if it's suitable

They have thinner versions and thicker versions; you'd probably want the former

Grainger was a surprising bust, but Adams may have some potential, will give them a call. will look into 3M as well.
Naugahyde is a bit more exotic than needed and appears too thick.

Still, thanks for taking the time to make some suggestions!

Latest posts

Back