Sowter 8650 - UA 175 trx measurements

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty1_1garry

Hi folk!
Have on hands a pair of Sowter 8650a trxes. It's a substitute for UA 175 as output trx. Can be used in  other output amps with PP topology.

I'm studyng transformers and have a plan to wind my own tranies so I measure every transformer that falls into my hands.
Make measurements of DCR and inductance on two friencies (pretty simple LCR meter).
If you have an ideas what additional specs I should measure - feel free to give an advice.

Attachments

• 8650 measure.png
    8650 measure.png
    295.2 KB · Views: 51
ruffrecords said:
Always worth measuring leakage inductance as well. Gives you a better idea of HF response.

Thanks for your response, Ian!

Already measured it, but result confused me a little bit. Primary inductance with secondary shorted gave me 310mH(1kHz) and 19.58H(120Hz) on RED-CT and 403mH(1kHz) and 27.26H(120Hz) on GREEN-CT. Is it normal results?

dirty1_1garry said:
Thanks for your response, Ian!

Already measured it, but result confused me a little bit. Primary inductance with secondary shorted gave me 310mH(1kHz) and 19.58H(120Hz) on RED-CT and 403mH(1kHz) and 27.26H(120Hz) on GREEN-CT. Is it normal results?

The mH readings seem more typical to me. What meter are you using to make the measurements?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
The mH readings seem more typical to me. What meter are you using to make the measurements?

I used E7-22 LCR meter. It's same as EXTECH 380193. It has two frieqencies and gives fairly accurate results as I compare it with Instek LCR-6300.

dirty1_1garry said:
I used E7-22 LCR meter. It's same as EXTECH 380193. It has two frieqencies and gives fairly accurate results as I compare it with Instek LCR-6300.

They should be plenty good enough. I must admit I do not often measure leakage inductance and when I have it has probably been at 1KHz. I will try a couple at 100Hz and let you know the results.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back