Specialty nut driver identification

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron_swanson

Hoping someone can help identify what the name of the tool is for 1/4” guitar jack nuts that are not hex, but rather have two small side slots 180 degrees apart from each other.

See attachment.

I run across these 1/4” jack nuts from time to time when repairing vintage guitar amplifiers and while a pair of needle nose pliers will get the job done, it’s a dicey prospect to do so without risking boogering up the panel or the nut proper.

I suspect that there is or was an actual designed tool for these, but no matter how I search, I can’t find anything specific.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• B63FAF6A-5F4B-4026-BF33-8887CDACB8EE.jpeg
    B63FAF6A-5F4B-4026-BF33-8887CDACB8EE.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 3
ESP make a multi spanner for pot ,switch and bridge adjustment for luthiers , its especially usefull for the round knurled nut found on Switchcraft toggle switches , but is usable on just about any kind of nut.

There is also an adjustable wrench for watch backs that could be used for that. I think I have seen them called pin wrenches, but not positive that same term is used for the adjustable watch back wrenches. They usually come with different size and shape pins you insert into the wrench.
You can find them on Amazon, but Harbor Freight is probably the cheapest:
Harbor Freight watch tool

Now that I look at it more closely, not sure the watch tool can close down small enough for a 1/4" connector nut. Obviously watch backs are not usually that small.

Thanks all! Spanner was what I was looking for, but unclear that any of the suggestions above will work for this task - at least, from what i can see / read.

ESP make a multi spanner for pot ,switch and bridge adjustment for luthiers , its especially usefull for the round knurled nut found on Switchcraft toggle switches , but is usable on just about any kind of nut.

I saw the question and was about to post about the ESP Multi Spanner, when I read down and saw that you beat me to it. I carry one of those little gems in my gig bag, and they're a real lifesaver. A simple, ingenious and eminently useful tool.

I've also used bent-tip snap ring pliers on that type of nut, but you have to be very careful so as to not scratch the chassis/panel.

Technically it's a pin spanner. Spanner is British for wrench, so it's a pin wrench in American. I have made a few of these in my lifetime by drilling the end of a flat aluminum bar the proper distance and pressing in some steel dowel pins. When I am feeling lazy I just turn it with a small crescent wrench, these can be hard ro put a handle on.

Hi, It is simple purchase a box spanner of the correct size to snugly fit over the threaded section and file away either side until there are 2 teeth left, job done. Alternatively locate a piece of steel tube or drill out a piece of solid bar. Cyril

Latest posts

Back