Spice Bars -- a holiday recipe (or year-round)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstamler

Hi folks:

My holiday recipe for this year, chosen because its batter is thick and sticky, so more manageable for someone on a walker (as I am for the moment)  is Spice Bars. They're eggless, milkless, and essentially without solid fats; I suspect it originated during World War II, when these items were rationed.

They're also delicious. And servable to vegans.

A pdf is at:

www.stlecd.org/hold/syncake3.pdf

Two notes, after last night's baking: I specify a 9x9" pan; last night I used 7.6"x7.6", and the center fell. As JBS Haldane would have said, it's important to be the right size. They were still delicious, though.

Also, you probably don't want to grease and flour the pan or prehat the oven until the raisin mixture has cooled down, which takes a while.

Merry Christmas to all, and regardless of religious preference, enjoy the Spice Bars!

Peace,
Paul

I feel like a grandma baking for friends and relatives, but I had an out of town visitor on monday and recalled that he liked bagels, so i made up a batch of home made bagels (with raisins). They turned out so well that he called me up a day later asking me for the recipe.

Bagels are kind of simple to make, a basic bread dough, that you form into the familiar shape and then boil in water for a few minutes before baking. The boiling in water is responsible for their unique chewy texture.

I was too lazy and don't use precise measurements when cooking but there are any number of standard recipes for bagels on the WWW.

Here is one that I copied, and edited with my notes (in red) for what I did different from the published recipe.

Bagel Recipe

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons of active dry yeast  (1 package dry yeast)
1 ½ tablespoons of granulated sugar  (maybe 1 teaspoon sugar or less).
1 ¼ cups of warm water (you may need ± ¼ cup more, I know I did)
3 ½ cups (500g) of bread flour or high gluten flour(will need extra for kneading)
1 ½ teaspoons of salt (just a dash of salt <<teaspoon)

Optional Toppings:
Caraway seeds, coarse salt, minced fresh garlic, minced fresh onion, poppy seeds, or sesame seeds. (Everyone in my house prefers plain bagels, but I have no preference, so I just went with the plain, so no one could complain.)

(I added two snack sized packages of raisins )

Preparation:
1. In ½ cup of the warm water, pour in the sugar and yeast. Do not stir. Let it sit for five minutes, and then stir the yeast and sugar mixture, until it all dissolves in the water.

(I put the flour into the mixing bowl. formed a pocket in the middle, added the dry least and sugar then poured in a half cup or warm water and let it sit for a few minutes. You will see the yeast bloom pretty quickly. )

2. Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour in the yeast and sugar mixture.

3. Pour half of the remaining warm water into the well. Mix and stir in the rest of the water as needed. Depending on where you live, you may need to add anywhere from a couple tablespoons to about ¼ cup of water. You want to result in a moist and firm dough after you have mixed it.

4. On a floured countertop, knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Try working in as much flour as possible to form a firm and stiff dough.

(I used my mixer with a dough hook... the easy way).

5. Lightly brush a large bowl with oil and turn the dough to coat. Cover the bowl with a damp dish towel. Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in size. Punch the dough down, and let it rest for another 10 minutes. (I didn't use any oil and just put the dough in the fridge overnight . I covered the bowl with saran wrap, but a cloth or towel would work.)

6. Carefully divide the dough into 8 pieces (I used a scale to be extra precise, but it’s not necessary). Shape each piece into a round. Now, take a dough ball, and press it gently against the countertop (or whatever work surface you’re using) moving your hand and the ball in a circular motion pulling the dough into itself while reducing the pressure on top of the dough slightly until a perfect dough ball forms. Repeat with 7 other dough rounds. (I didn't measure anything or do this so carefully).

7. Coat a finger in flour, and gently press your finger into the center of each dough ball to form a ring. Stretch the ring to about ⅓ the diameter of the bagel and place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Repeat the same step with the remaining dough. (I used some loose flour to prevent sticking to the raw dough but didn't coat my finger...I did stretch out the bagel to open up the circle. Again no oil on the cookie sheet, just parchment paper).

8. After shaping the dough rounds and placing them on the cookie sheet, cover with a damp kitchen towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 425ºF / 220ºC / Gas Mark 7.  I let it rest for more than 10 minutes, then stretched them again. I did not turn on the oven until later when I was ready to bake. I don't cook by the numbers. bake until right.).

9. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Reduce the heat. Use a slotted spoon or skimmer to lower the bagels into the water. Boil as many as you are comfortable with boiling. Once the bagels are in, it shouldn’t take too long for them to float to the top (a couple seconds). Let them sit there for 1 minute, and them flip them over to boil for another minute. Extend the boiling times to 2 minutes each, if you’d prefer a chewier bagel (results will give you a more New York Style bagel with this option). ( I used a large deep frying pan, you only need a couple inches of water. I didn't boil it but used a high simmer. I turned them over a few times and probably simmered them in water more than 2 minutes. I could only fit about three in my pan.. they will puff up in the water. Longer time in the water makes them more chewy)

10. If you want to top your bagels with stuff, do so as you take them out of the water, you may use the “optional toppings”  to top the bagels and if you’re risky like me, make a combination of the toppings to top the bagels with, but before hand, you will need to use an egg wash to get the toppings to stick before putting the bagels into the oven. (an egg wash is how the typical bagel gets the hard brown outer surface.. )

11. Once all the bagels have boiled (and have been topped with your choice of toppings), transfer them to a lightly oiled baking sheet.  (again I didn't use any oil...)

12. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown. (I cooked lower temp and longer... but higher temp would probably make harder outer shell..I don't trust my oven temp anyhow).

manga...

JR

With a nice Brandy Alexander... Dick's way.

Half gallon of cheap vanilla ice cream (expensive is ok, but it doesn't help)
1.5 shots of cheap brandy
2.5 shots Creme du Cacao (brown preferably)
Grate nutmeg on top

Put booze in a blender
Blend medium fast and add ice cream till it is thick (this will be most of the half gallon)
Grate fresh or not nutmeg on top
Makes 6 (but they will want more)

Dick likes more creme du cacao (sweeter), I like more brandy (sharper)

I have yet to find anyone that doesn't like these after dinner... or by the pool.

Wishing all of your peace.

That sounds like the old college party punch we used to get the coeds drunk, but we'd use cheapo ice cream and ever-clear (pure alcohol to provide the punch in punch).

JR

I initially read the topic as "spike bars - a holiday recipe" and was very excited for some mad max style post apocalyptic car tuning.  ;D

Anyway, thanks for the great recipes.

pstamler said:
Two notes, after last night's baking: I specify a 9x9" pan; last night I used 7.6"x7.6", and the center fell. As JBS Haldane would have said, it's important to be the right size.

These were good, although when I think "bars", I think of something more solid. These were sort of like a gingerbread tasting brownie. The texture of it seems like it would do well as a loaf (like banana bread/5x9), but as your 7.6" experiment didn't seem to hold right, I guess it might take some "modding".

Thanks!

Back