Splitting an audio signal between two different units, does it affect sound quality?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

Hi, I was reading somewhere about impedance and how it can change the quality of sound and I was wondering if using a Y cable, to split the output of a DA converter to two different devices affect the sound quality? From my understanding, if both devices being fed is +4 line input, the sound quality should be the-same?

So if I was to split the output of a DA converter to a speaker amplifier with +4 line input and a Monitor Controller with +4 line input, both devices will receive the-same sound quality signal regardless, even if both devices uses gain/trim adjustments? Only if one device has -10 line input, or if I use a mic input will there be a shift in the sound quality.

Is this correct?

Thank you.

You are correct. The only issue will be if you have a ground loop or the output impedance is higher than the combined input impedance.
For instance, say the output impedance of the D/A module is 10K and the amplifiers have an input impedance of 22K then the overall input impedance will be 11K, no issues. (Resistors in parallel formula). If the output impedance is 22K then there will be a mismatch and some quality/voltage output will be compromised.

So if I was to split the output of a DA converter to a speaker amplifier with +4 line input and a Monitor Controller with +4 line input, both devices will receive the-same sound quality signal regardless, even if both devices uses gain/trim adjustments?...
This method of connection has been a problem in the past when both sources and loads had an impedance of 600 ohms to transmit maximum power. Nowadays, connecting multiple loads to one source is not a problem. The sources have a small output impedance (50-100ohm), and the inputs of the device have a high impedance (10-100kohm).

You are correct. The only issue will be if you have a ground loop or the output impedance is higher than the combined input impedance.
For instance, say the output impedance of the D/A module is 10K and the amplifiers have an input impedance of 22K then the overall input impedance will be 11K, no issues. (Resistors in parallel formula). If the output impedance is 22K then there will be a mismatch and some quality/voltage output will be compromised.

With "standard" kit impedance matching isn't a thing. Loss of level is determined by the impedance ratios and doesn't simply kick in at a particular point. Of course, if the combined load impedance is too low then the source may have s problem driving it . Roughly, splitting a signal to two inputs should be fine even if typical mic inputs. Line inputs generally higher input Z so easier to drive multiples.

Does that all apply for the output of a mic preamp as well? So I can go out the line from the external mic preamp with a simple Y-cable - one to the interface, one to an analog mixer for monitoring without any loss of quality?

(Only that I might have a ground loop problem that way, but that I will notice, because it's audible straight away. Then I would need a splitter.)

Thank you :)

In the vast majority of cases (standard levels, standard impedances, everything balanced) you'll be fine. Standard practice to mult in this way. 👍🏼
Does that all apply for the output of a mic preamp as well? So I can go out the line from the external mic preamp with a simple Y-cable - one to the interface, one to an analog mixer for monitoring without any loss of quality?

(Only that I might have a ground loop problem that way, but that I will notice, because it's audible straight away. Then I would need a splitter.)

Thank you :)

Hi everyone, I have a question about this.

When I mult the output of any of my mic preamps, so one path is going direct to my converters, and the other path is going to my Hairball rev A 1176, the direct path loses around 5-6dB of level. My mic preamps are half-normalled to my converter inputs on my patchbay.

No other compressor or piece of outboard in my rack causes this level drop. Is this related to the input impedance of my Hairball comp?

Thanks

Ross

A 1176 is normally 600 ohm input. So that puts a full load on your mike pre. Putting a balance bridging input across it as well like your converters wont be a problem.

Back