SSL 6000 Routing switch cards, NLA "ITT/Dialastat" Switches **SOLVED** (?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhmca

Hi Guys,

I'm as happy as a little girl! I've solved the ITT/Dialastat NLA switch debacle!!!

Any of you reading this that are SSL 6000 owners or techs are super excited right now... BUT WAIT! There's MORE!

Maybe my plan sucks. Maybe it's already been tried... I have done it and it took 30 seconds, and seemed almost too good to be true... It involves an "off the shelf solution" with a tiny bit of tweaking.

I need **ACTUAL** SSL 6000 owners or techs to drop a note here and I will pm the details. You will need to purchase some parts and of course have a Routing switch card that you can mod.

I know who owns and/or works on them... so no cheating! :)

Not trying to be secretive, just don't want to release something that may be the "Stupidest idea in the world"... need peer review first.

You are referring to the 6000 routing switches. Do you mean only the A/B/C switch card, or the 1-32 switches cards?
'Cos they are the same as the 4000, and there are more owners of them than 6000!

Walrus said:
You are referring to the 6000 routing switches. Do you mean only the A/B/C switch card, or the 1-32 switches cards?
'Cos they are the same as the 4000, and there are more owners of them than 6000!

The stock 1-32 switch cards in an SSL6000 are NOT the same as the SSL4000. The SSL4000 cards will fit, but if you own a 6k and do not have a bunch of 4k cards laying around, then my solution might help..

Again, this is for people who understand that there is problem trying to source the NLA ITT/Dialastat switches that came stock with their SSL6000

bruno2000 said:
OK, I'll take a chance.  2 4K consoles.
Best,
Bruno2000

Bruno, do you have a 6k? my solution will only help with the "weird impossible" switch that the 6k used...

I'm confused...

Routing 1-32 is routed in pairs (odd-even pan) no matter whether you have a 4k or a 6k... Only the LB/LF/RF/RB (4k) and A/B/C (6k) switches will differ, unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning...

There is a different footprint with the 1-32 switches on the 6k

Read it this way:

Hi Ya'll!

I found a replacement for the old ITT/Dialastat DPDT switch that the SSL6000 used for it's 1-32 routing switches... You know, the ones that can't be replaced with the ALPS switch... cause you know... the footprint is wrong AND it doesn't fit right... unlike the 4k, which an ALPS switch will fit perfectly into...

The Alps switches won't fit into the routing cards on our 4000!
They may fit on the *later* routing cards that SSL made.

Walrus said:
The Alps switches won't fit into the routing cards on our 4000!
They may fit on the *later* routing cards that SSL made.

That's good news!

Then this maybe will work for the older 4k boards as well!

sodderboy said:
What about just buying more Dialistats from Arpamax?  I did a big buy last year.  Deal direct and not with any distribs.
Mike

Mike, I am interested in more details on this!  Several years ago, I was trying to track down switch replacements for a Neve 5116 desk.  I did find something here:

http://www.stanler.co.uk/switches/switchframe.html

(Website uses frames, so click on "Pushbuttons" in the left pane, then scroll down half way on the frame that appears towards the right.)

IIRC, I was quoted something like 4 Pounds Sterling per 4PDT switch module.

I am curious about Arpamax which you mention.  A Google search leads me to a company in Spain, but no mention of Dialistats.

Thanks!

Bri

Send an email with pictures to arpamax.com.
I found that there was a bigger language/cultural difference between myself and the people at Stanler than the people at Arpamax.
"Polite jerks" is how I would describe them at Stanler.  It was either bank holiday baloney, 2 hour lunches, or off to the pub at 3PM for the sales people there.
So sod them and cut-out the middleman.
Arpamax has the tooling for isostats, dialistat, and schadow.  And they have the different spaced bracketing.
Mike

or like this?

Notice an ALPS switch installed in the old ITT/Dialastat position. The card in front is the "new" "ALPS ready" card from SSL.

Attachments

• sslroutingswitchcure.jpg
    sslroutingswitchcure.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 58
sodderboy said:
Send an email with pictures to arpamax.com.

Arpamax has the tooling for isostats, dialistat, and schadow.  And they have the different spaced bracketing.
Mike

Bringing an old thread back to life because I'm needing a source of switches for a SSL 6K desk.  Arpamax.com is defunct, and after some Googling, it appears that they are in liquidation.

Stanler now the only source???

Bri

ALPS Part number SPUJ193700

It is a 4 pole. You need a 4 pole to get the length.

Cut the front set of legs off, they won't be used.

The back legs need to be bent out to fit in the holes. It's pretty easy and works perfect.

What I do is center the center pin over the middle of the holes in the card. Then Lay the pins flat.. then spread them a little forward/backwards to reach the hole they are next to...

Hello Brian,

Stanler here in the UK seem to be defunct (if anyone knows anything different, please correct me).

I have sent you a PM about 2-pole Dialastat.

Cheers,

Gareth Connor said:
Hello Brian,

Stanler here in the UK seem to be defunct (if anyone knows anything different, please correct me).

I have sent you a PM about 2-pole Dialastat.

Cheers,

Damn!  It's been a couple of years since I got a quote from Stanler, and now they are gone as well as Arpamax!!  I just noticed your PM and will read through it.  Thanks!

Bri

jwhmca said:
ALPS Part number SPUJ193700

It is a 4 pole. You need a 4 pole to get the length.

Cut the front set of legs off, they won't be used.

The back legs need to be bent out to fit in the holes. It's pretty easy and works perfect.

What I do is center the center pin over the middle of the holes in the card. Then Lay the pins flat.. then spread them a little forward/backwards to reach the hole they are next to...

I'll have to check that out, but from memory that substitution seems unlikely.  The Dialistats are GIANTS compared to various Alps switches I've seen.

Bri

http://forum.sslmixed.com/index.php/topic,521.msg3363.html#msg3363

There are a few pictures in this thread...

OK....great idea!  The pic you linked makes sense.  Thanks!

Now onwards to solutions for other Dialistat versions used in the desks...

Bri

Back