SSL 9k questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldaraia

Howdy, long time browser, first time poster.

I'm looking into getting the PCBs for the SSL 9k pre, but looking at the schematic brought up a few questions that I'll need the answers to before I feel confident enough to get started. I apologize if this question has been asked before, I searched but I couldn't find anything relating to my questions. First I should explain that I am experienced using a soldering iron and repairing/modifying equipment. I've designed a fuzz pedal, built a handful of pedal clones and modded a few of my mics, so I am not totally ignorant, but there are still some things that are over my head.

Firstly, and primarily, the schematic in a couple places calls for +/- 15v most obviously at IC31a but there are one or two other places. The power supply provides only +/- 18v, 0v and 48v, so where am I to get the +/- 15v for these spots on the PCB/schematic?

Secondly, and this is a simple one, I just need to confirm how to wire phantom power. I should be applying the 48v to pins 2 and three of the input jack with a resistor on each pin and a DC blocking capacitor, yes? Suggested values for the resistors and caps? I can probably find this information elsewhere online so I'm not too worried about an answer to my question here.

Thirdly, the parts list calls for a bridge. I have no idea what this is. Someone please explain?

Lastly, I'm not sure where to get a 20-0-20v toroidal transformer, does anyone have any idea where one could be found?

Thanks for reading. Again, I apologize if this has already been covered, I searched but it's possible I didn't explore deep enough.

Most people do one of three things.  Build up two power supplies.  One with the +-18V and phantom the other with the +-15V or what I did with mine is order the JLM powerstation.  And lastly some folks have used different chips in the position that requires the 15V so they could use the 18V for everything.  Look in the build thread for the 9k it should be talked about there.

your phantom solution sounds good.  Be sure that the polarity of the cap is correct. maybe take a look at some schematics that have a phantom circuit just for a reference.

The bridge your referring to might me a jumper on the board.  I think there are 4 of them, maybe less.  But if this is in reference to the power supply that would be a bridge rectifier.

I use http://www.antekinc.com/index.php for power xformers.

Good luck with them, they are a great clean gain preamp.

-Casey

Latest posts

Back