SSL-clone goes synth-module ?!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintrubber

The non-spectacular thought struck me that the SSL-clone is in fact a stereo VCA with a sidechain :wink: :thumb:

I mean, why not give it a dedicated/direct control-voltage input
which can be (ab-)used for synth-module-like toying around ? Driving it with ADSR-, LFO-signals, etc.

I have the VCF-1 of the Oakley-range
( http://www.oakleysound.com/contents.htm )
which I could use to generate CV.
Once I've finished the basic SSL I might add such a CV-input.

I haven't thought yet about an eventually required interface-stage, but I guess that could be fairly simple.

This all just a thought for now,
bye,

Peter

You don't need the GSSL surrounding for this.

Sure, right, the SSL is much more than needed for the VCA-thing. The idea was to give the box kind of an additional function just because 'it's almost there'.

As far as I've toyed around with then, I've good experiences with the small standalone Oakley VCA-boards, these are simple and use some BA...-VCA (a Japanese type, from Rohm I thought). The various requirements for such applications for processing VCO-generated/synth/squarewave-signals etc will likely be less stringent than when passing 'real audio' (...) thru them, but I understood that BA...-type is decent anyway.

Bye,

Peter

I am more or less sure that Oakley uses the same VCA chip as in the gssl (2180?) in the new editions of ADSR/VCA and triple VCA

Robert

I am more or less sure that Oakley uses the same VCA chip as in the gssl (2180?) in the new editions of ADSR/VCA and triple VCA

Hey that's interesting.

FWIW, I looked it up what type those little standalone units of a year or so back used as VCA: BA6110.

Bye,

Peter

Latest posts

Back