ssm2141 vs. ina134 unbalancing amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleeper

Just looking to unbalance the front end of a headphone amplifier, so unity gain should be fine... although I'm considering the +6db of gain that I would get from the INA137. :cool:

but for this topic, just to compare apples with apples,
SSM2141 vs. INA134

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/12157751ssm2141.pdf

or

http://www.chipcatalog.com/TI/Datasheet/INA134.htm

from the datasheet, these are more or less the same and basically need power supply decoupling and thats it.

I just wanted to know if anyone here had any good reasons for preferring one over the other.

Thanks
Sleeper

[quote author="StDomingo"]You won't get +6 dB of gain from the 137: you'll get -6dB of gain. It makes sense if you think about it...[/quote]
It does show in the sheet that if you connect the pins differently you can get a gain of 2 instead of g=1/2

I currently use the 137. I get very good real world results with it without too much effort.

Yeah, this seems to be the joint here , both of these look to be so utterly simple to incorporate into a circuit. Since they are more or less plug and play, I think I'll finish up the board design tonight... maybe I'll even make a g=1 and a g=2 area or jumper set.

Gotta Run
Sleeper

I was thinking of the extra gain cause I'm making a headphone amp and talkback circuit. I'm using a pretty straightforward 5532 based gain circuits which by all accounts should be loud enough and clean enough for the job at hand. I 'll probably buffer at unity, but I do like the idea that I can wedge in some extra gain if I really need it... especially since I'm in bit of a hurry and most likely will skip the breadboarding... on we go.
Sleeper

Hi!

I think you can use the BB INA134 instead if you want a buffer at unity.....

How do these chips sound St.Domingo, clean, clear?

Cheers Tom

Hey thanks St.D!

Ronseal eh? Good stuff.....

I just realised I have the BB 137s on the input stage to my Lynx2 ADs.....they sound kind of like you described.

Cheers Tom

Latest posts

Back