Stahl soldering station?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

Parts Express has this station on sale:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=374-200

It's no Weller, I'm sure, but to be honest, any station I buy would be lucky to see more than an hour of usage a week, on average. The reviews are mixed, with some people getting bad units, but PE has a pretty good returns/exchange policy, so I'm not too worried about that.

Otherwise, a lot of folks seem to like this unit for moderate usage, like it would get from me. I need something better than my current "plug right into the wall" unit, but I can't afford $150 for the good Wellers.

Unless someone has a good used one they'd sell me. :)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with Stahl as a company, or maybe someone here has used this unit. Thank you!

we use wellers at work, They are pricey and to be honest I do not like them as much as when I first started to use them. But they do  the job and work purchased them so whatever. on my personal side I started with a hakko and fell in love, price was reasonable and unit worked great. I never had a problem with my hakko and still use it to this day.

Lately I upgraded to a complete Solder/Desolder/rework station Xytronic. It's by far the best I have had m hands on. The price was great and the unit performs well, incredibly well. Now I doubt you want  the desolder/rework stuff but they do make some good irons that are around 100-150.00 dollars. Might be out of price range for what your need is. The hakko cost me around 80 dollars and is well worth the investment.

I use this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882577003&Tpk=wesd51

and I love it. my only concern is the tips that are available for this are not the finest you can find. it has never been an issue worth really stopping and addressing for me. I built DOA's with it and those are VERY tight.

For 39 beans go for it.  For medium duty work it is worth a try.  The Chinese ripped the Weller design completely.  I would be interested if Weller tips fit on it.  That would be sweet because the weakest link with the knock-offs is the tip quality.

I am totally Wellered-up or I would try one.  My de-soldering station is an Aoyue that "I took a chance on" three years ago and it is a solid tool.  The tips are the weakest link but cheap to replace.

Mike

I'd be willing to bet that the Stahgl is made by the same chinese manufacturer that makes the Weller model...without a doubt.

Wow...that Aoyue is intriguing at that price!

Ptownkid said:
I'd be willing to bet that the Stahgl is made by the same chinese manufacturer that makes the Weller model...without a doubt.

Wow...that Aoyue is intriguing at that price!

At least they had the decency to use stiff crappy cable and a screw DIN connecter instead of the supple Weller wire/plastic custom DIN.  Reading the reviews they will replace it if it dies, so I might still take a "Chance".

The Aoyue has proven itself in heavy-duty work cycles.  I just had to get extra tips and replacements for the sexy .8mm x 10mm cleaning drill (worth the price of admission).  I remember someone here claiming that their's melted in their hand, but mine never did anything like that.
Mike

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I hadn't come across the Aoyue brand before, and the unit mentioned earlier (the 936) comes within my price range, so I might just go for that.

Latest posts

Back