Standardizing Connectors for HT

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinw33

Hi everyone
Even though the HT LCLC filter section needs only three connections, it doesn't seem intuitive to use a 3xlr connection, does it?

What are your preferred in best case standardized, cheap and according to regulation connectors for HT or PSU?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20240702_132601_377.jpg
    IMG_20240702_132601_377.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 1
Ive used aviation plugs before , you have to make sure you heat shrink the solder buckets in the plug and the cable diameter they accept is fairly small .
Other than that they work and are reliable .

I've used Bulgin non-standard mains connectors before
https://uk.farnell.com/bulgin/px0430-se/socket-3way-right-angle-free/dp/313981
CN05116-40.jpg

THIS kind of military connectors are very reliable and easy to work with, but quite expensive

THIS is an affordable alternative from china, I have been wanting to try one

The issue with XLRs is the limited current rating but it might be enough depending on your application

For safety reasons at HT, you need to have Male chassis connector, Female on the cable

And then some low-leakage diode protecting fingers from touching remaining HT at the chassis connector when connector is dismounted

I actually never found a really good solution for this

/Jakob E.

The 50 Volt 'low Voltage directive' rules out many connectors and is just one reason why XLRs are not suitable. Yes the Bucaneer range mentioned by Ian is a practical solution I actually have a couple myself but never got around to using them. The 'straignt' version of the Bulgin 3 pin pictured by Ian is outlawed because you can unscrew it while it is connected thus falls under the 50 Volt ruling. YES I have used croc clips to connect my mains soldring iron in the past but it is not a common occurrence.

For safety reasons at HT, you need to have Male chassis connector, Female on the cable

And then some low-leakage diode protecting fingers from touching remaining HT at the chassis connector when connector is dismounted

I actually never found a really good solution for this

/Jakob E.
A good technical solution is to use a shrouded connector. For the Mark 3 tube mixer I am using an 8 way Speakon. Zero chance of touching any residual HT in the mixer when the PSU is unplugged. Only problem is, some idiot will probably plug it into a speaker system at some point. :mad:

Cheers

Ian

Ive used the 4 pin Speakons for preamp supplies also ,
the connector itself being touch proof was the main attraction ,
Seeing as its for my own usage its not an issue with the wrong thing getting plugged in , I did in any case put a high voltage lightening bolt sign near the connector just in case.
I used a different connector at the pre-amp end so theres no chance of a random speaker cable being used .

With conventional male/female plugs there always the chance a person is exposed to dangerous voltages in the moments its takes the HT to drain down ,
The inherent safety the Speakon affords when used correctly in this application is undeniable ,
Clear labeling should be enough to ward off the fool hardy , DOD HV.jpg

Latest posts

Back