Steinberg Support....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helterbelter

Well.... I say 'Steinberg Support', but apparently, there isn't any.

(edit Jan 28th) : I started this topic to share my discontent about the Steinberg Support, not to get a solution for the initial problem (which is solved by the way).

Below my questions via their Customer support ticket, starting Jan 3rd, so, it's already 17 days ago. And still no reply.

------------------------------------

Paul Beltman January 03, 2018 19:18

Hello !
    I'm having a small difficulty of which I hope you can help. I'm a Cubase (pro) user for many years, and with my band we decided that my other bandmembers should be able to use cubase for simple homerecording as well (serious mix and editing works will be done in my studio). So, we purchased a few UR22's with cubase Ai. I had a couple of older but still very capable computers for the task which I want to use. But these are both Windows 32 bit machines. I expected the Ai would work, and the reseller (Bax in NL) didn't mention Ai isn't 32bit compatible. So, I know with Pro that installing an older version of Cubase will work. I'd like to do this with Ai. Not sure which version also supports 32 bit machines, 6, or 7 ? So, I'd like to know which, and, if I can get a link for downloading it ? (other than only the latest update or patch).
    Best regards,
    Paul.

Paul Beltman January 13, 2018 17:29

Hi again,
    Well, I'd still like to know what to do. And I do expect a reply. This is not very professional. Once again, I'm a Cubase user for many years, I'm using the full version cubase in my own studio. I own up to 8.5 (still using 6.5 though). My fellow bandmembers are waiting for their own setups, so, I'd like to know if I can download an earlier version of Cubase Ai that will work on windows 32bit OSes.

Please advice.
    Best regards,
    Paul.
    Paul Beltman Sunday at 00:39

Okay, meanwhile a friend sent me the Cubase 8.1 Ai/Elements/Le installer for 32 bit windows OS. This works with my cubase pro dongle, but not with just the UR22. Can't use the downloadcode that came with the UR22. Any suggestions ?

Best regards,

Paul.
    Paul Beltman Today at 15:39

Still no answer ? This is insane. You're definately loosing a customer here. I really don't understand why I don't get a response.

bye.

Paul.

I hate when that happens.

More often than not, I end up finding the solutions myself when left with these situations. It's not just Steinberg that has this position I can tell you.

Maybe the answers are out there somewhere on a forum.

Definitely catch more bees with honey though and pointing out your obvious frustration doesn't really provide anything useful to the problem your addressing ,unless your subject happens to be with corporate and an actual complaint I'd guess.

So are you trying to get a downgraded version of AI instead of the newer one you have?

It's a bit confusing to follow with the added information about your band's plight...etc.....

Maybe someone here can help answer some questions for you regarding your scenario.

Good Luck!

This raises an interesting question IMO.  I've seen this from the other side working with several manufacturers.  Luckily the brands I've worked with are high end and pretty boutique and hands on in their service.

The key question is are people prepared to pay for what ongoing service costs.  Funding a global support team costs a lot, are you (or any of us) prepared to pay some of that cost when we buy a product?

Hell no. When I pay for a product that doesn't work from the start, the support should be free of charge. It's not a stupid question I asked. The only stupid thing I've done, is to wait too long for an answer. I should've returned the 2 interfaces  a couple of days after it became clear support wouldn't reply. Now it's too late to send them back and I cannot get a full refund.

(Before the question raises : No, it wasn't clear that these cubase versions would not work on 32 bit OSes).

Scott, yes, thank you for pointing out that I'm probably adding too much info , you're absolutely right.

Indeed, my intention is to use the previous Ai version, simply because it's 32 bit windows  compatible.  But, the only reason for putting it here in the Brewery section is because I'm pretty much agitated about the way Steinberg handles their support. 

Anyway, by now I kinda decided to upgrade the windows version of one of these computers to W10 64 bit. On the other computer I'll probably upgrade the Ai version to Cubase Elements . (I have the installer of Elements 8.1 here and it's 32 bit compatible).

Not that it matters that I do have some options to solve this. It's still  that Steinberg Support is a major disappointment.

Ruairi had an RME on the black market not too long ago I think. I'm not sure of your requirements but it is 32bit.......Actually only works on 32bit Windows....It's a sweet card but with pci thing and no analog, that may be an issue.... I don't think it supports using it as anything other than an ASIO unit on Windows 7 32bit though..(Can only use it for Cubase or other application using ASIO).. So that may be another consideration....

I had one until I upgraded to Windows 7....oops.......... 64bit..... oops

I've since hacked it for the ADAT transmitter and receiver....the horror.....

But I still use Cubase in 32bit mode on Windows 7 64bit because of my outdated UAD Cards....lol....That are now unsupported....

Yeah, I've jumped on things before without realizing the limitations that arise from the ever changing technological landscape.....

Sounds like you have it all sorted though.....

It's usually better in the long run ....

Wishing you All the best for your projects!!!!!!!

Scott

i use cubase from its very first release... steinberg usually dont reply to obvious things! ie: things already stated in system requirements etc!

Oh, I remember the horrors that 64 bit only stuff brought..... Not sure where it started, but at a certain point I had to spend big bucks to get everything I thought I needed working again. Or was it the PCIe change in MoBo's, along with UAD no longer supporting 32 bit OSes ? Can't recall, except it was a huge investment (hobbywise it's a huge investment- paying for stuff that doesn't bring something entirely new)

Hell...
-Motu PCI to PCIe upgrade
-UAD PCI to PCIe upgrade
-Duende to Duende Native
-WIndows upgrade

And possibly some other things as well. It's a lot of money !

Glad I survived that shit, hahaha !

kambo said:
i use cubase from its very first release... steinberg usually dont reply to obvious things! ie: things already stated in system requirements etc!

Okay. That makes sense, but :

then they should at least respond they won't help me since it's stated in their system requirements. Which they didn't notice with the UR22 by the way. You can read it in the system requirements on the Steinberg site. And it's also not something you can find that easily on the site.  But still, they should at least respond that it's my own mistake and that they won't help.

By the way, I'm cubase user since VST, and I paid for many upgrades on the full Cubase version. They should give me some slack here.

Well, what am I saying ? They should simply grant me the option to install the older version which I asked for ! Whether I'm a seasoned cubase user or not !

helterbelter said:
Oh, I remember the horrors that 64 bit only stuff brought..... Not sure where it started, but at a certain point I had to spend big bucks to get everything I thought I needed working again.

Definitely!!

And anytime I usually upgrade it keeps me maybe 10 years behind the current stuff..lol

A couple things:
I agree steinberg support sucks.
My understanding is the UR22 is discontinued, so even though you just bought it new, you did buy a discontinued product-just something to keep in mind.
The cubase forum is a good place to get your questions answered.
As a long time user, you probably know this, but when you install the software, if you are wanting to use AI or Elements WITHOUT the dongle, then you must not install the license on the dongle.  It is a one way street.  If you install it on the dongle you will never be able to take it off the dongle and use it just on your computer.  This may not be an issue you are dealing with but it's a bit hard for me to understand what your issue is. 

I have no idea about the 32 bit thing-honestly I'm surprised that anything supports 32 bit OS anymore.  I know that Cubase does not now support 32 bit VSTs so I don't know if that is related.  Good luck!

Well, reading your responses, I think I should have used a different subject title, not '32 bit OS problem' or something similar....... But even so : they should at least have responded saying they cannot help me.

Anyway, in the end I managed to get it working using the previous 8.1 version.  Apparently, the E license control center had a bug, and Steinberg had a fixer program for this (The software E licenser container was missing).

To reply some of your comments :
Mbira said:
My understanding is the UR22 is discontinued, so even though you just bought it new, you did buy a discontinued product-just something to keep in mind.
apparently I have purchased  the Mk2 versions. :)

Mbira said:
The cubase forum is a good place to get your questions answered.
You're right, but my main reason for posting this thread in this particular section (Brewery- I'm the bar-stool preacher  in this case, hahaha) , isn't to find a solution , but to express my disappointment in Steinberg's support.
No response at all is very consumer unfriendly.

Mbira said:
As a long time user, you probably know this, but when you install the software, if you are wanting to use AI or Elements WITHOUT the dongle, then you must not install the license on the dongle.  It is a one way street.  If you install it on the dongle you will never be able to take it off the dongle and use it just on your computer.  This may not be an issue you are dealing with but it's a bit hard for me to understand what your issue is. 
Oh, didn't know this, but (fortunately) I didn't transfer the license to my dongle , I simply used my Cubase Pro license to check if 8.1 is compatible with the 32 bit OS.  Good to know anyway !

Mbira said:
I have no idea about the 32 bit thing-honestly I'm surprised that anything supports 32 bit OS anymore.  I know that Cubase does not now support 32 bit VSTs so I don't know if that is related.  Good luck!
Really ? So, the Waves plugins cannot be used in Cubase 9 anymore ? Or do Waves use their own bridger for this purpose....?

scott2000 said:
And anytime I usually upgrade it keeps me maybe 10 years behind the current stuff..lol
Hahaha, well, that's what I usually do with new software. Wait at least 6 months so most errors that come with new software  are debugged. And I usually wait more than a year when it comes to new Windows OSes !

Thank you all for your thoughts !

I have been running 64 bit since Windows 7 offered it as an option. That by the way is several versions ago so you might try upgrading OS on those computers.

Digital burn is real and it is a problem! I have been dealing with it since Atari went under and Apple took Windows support away with Logic acquisition! It will not stop and no software or hardware company is going to leap at an opportunity to help you go backwards there just ain't no money in them hills. Pro Tools has also done it with RTAS vs AAX etc...  The downward compatibility has always sucked with all of these products.

I will say that the answer to your particular problem may have been covered extensively in the Steinberg Users Forum and it would be nice if they would at least say that!

Afaik Steinberg totally dropped 32bit support a while ago - which makes a lot of sense in terms of stability and consolidating resources. Nevertheless in my opinion it would be great if they still responded to your request, even if the answer is 'sorry, everything is 64bit only now'. Just to show respect for their customers.

Anyway, is your question answered now? If not, they do also have telephone support (like an hour per day or so) - at least in german. I assume they should also offer it in english. Maybe this helps, if you have a person to talk to they can't just not respond.

Another option might be to upgrade your computer to a 64bit windows, this surprisingly works on many older machines. All my computers run 64bit windows now, even old core2duo systems.

Michael

I used to have Cubase 4 back in the day... it's a good DAW, pretty much like using MS Word or something. I guess it's like a budget-and entry level alternative to Pro Tools.

I've then switched to Ableton Live though.

687474703a2f2f7777772e7265616374696f6e676966732e636f6d2f722f7372637374632e676966

Michael Tibes said:
Afaik Steinberg totally dropped 32bit support a while ago - which makes a lot of sense in terms of stability and consolidating resources. Nevertheless in my opinion it would be great if they still responded to your request, even if the answer is 'sorry, everything is 64bit only now'. Just to show respect for their customers.

Anyway, is your question answered now?

Another option might be to upgrade your computer to a 64bit windows, this surprisingly works on many older machines. All my computers run 64bit windows now, even old core2duo systems.

Michael

Yes, it's solved.
As said, I have installed Cubase 8.1.  And that's exactly what I asked for via Steinberg Support. I gave them the solution, I only asked for an install file of 6/7/8 32 bit Cubase. It's not even a difficult question, but possibly I clouded it in unnecessary info.

And I also considered to upgrade the windows version to 64bit, but the only way doing so was to upgrade it to Windows 10 (or use a cracked windows version). W10 is great, except for one thing : you can't turn off the automatic update.

But fortunately, I got it running without a complete re-installment ! :)

Mbira said:
Waves has been 64 bit since 2012 I believe.  Runs fine for me on 9.5

I don't think the Waves plugins are 64 bit. At least, not the Waves version I use (and updated it about 4 months ago). The plugins itself are installed in the x86 program files folder, and a 64 to 32 bit bridgertool  is used so they show up in Cubase 64 bit. Not sure this tool is made by Waves or by Steinberg. So, yes, they're 64bit compatible, but in essence they're 32bit plugins.

But I'm glad they function in 9.5 !

efinque said:
I guess it's like a budget-and entry level alternative to Pro Tools.

Not really. the programs have a different approach to production.
Cubase sports many functions that Pro Tools doesn't have, and vice versa. Pro tools (and Nuendo as well) is more focused to music and AV audio postproduction (as in doing recording and mixing) ,  while cubase is more focused to musicproduction (as in composing).
That being said, the gap between Cubase and Nuendo and Protools is getting thinner. Many typical composingfeatures and Midi features are also available in Nuendo and Pro Tools nowadays, while cubase also has basic 5.1 surround  functions nowadays.

Latest posts

Back