Stepped switches alternatives

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electroswitch makes some great 23-24pos in both 1 and 2 deck rotaries... They are spendy, but perhaps not at much so as the Elmas:

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/electroswitch/C7D0124N-C/514090
They are quite large tho, so you have to have the panel space to spare.
Including the room for at least a 30mm knob. They are big and require serious torque. I am using them in one spot but they are not very practical IMO. I love the the 12 pos X pole C4's. Those are built like a tank. I anticipate them working flawlessly forever.

G. Milani ...Not sure about this Italian company still being active. I contacted them in July 2021...I did not order due the the size not fitting my face plate.
+1 for G.Milani switches. The company went through a change of ownership in the last years but I believe they are still making them.

Their brass potentiometer with 27steps also seems pretty cool

Including the room for at least a 30mm knob. They are big and require serious torque. I am using them in one spot but they are not very practical IMO. I love the the 12 pos X pole C4's. Those are built like a tank. I anticipate them working flawlessly forever.
See that's my favourite part, i LOVE a real positive "CLUNK" when i rotate a switch. 😆

The torque can be adjusted (downwards) on the Elmas by shortening the two tiny springs inside the big cast clicker-house. I'm not too impressed with the general build quality, though; I've had some wafers work loose on the 47-step models... YMMV.

I'm looking for steppes switches alternatives.
We know the elma's (too expensive and I dont like them for some reason), the cheap chinese ebay switches (nope..) and I have been using blore edwards switches (great switches) for a couple of years but the company seems to be a mess now. Which is a real shame. :cautious:
What other alternatives do we have? solid, 23/24 steps, 1 or 2 pole choice, a decent price and decently fast delivery?

Any luck? :)

I have been using these switches for years, but mechanically they simply don't feel good. They don't click into place like they should. I don't know.. I just don't like them.
Replying to my own answer here. I ordered a couple of those switches and they feel and look totally different compared to the old version which I used (years ago). So it looks like I will be using those switches now.

Replying to my own answer here. I ordered a couple of those switches and they feel and look totally different compared to the old version which I used (years ago). So it looks like I will be using those switches now.

Is there any way of using an "end screw" (or something similar) in case you need less than 24 positions?

here is the place I got those 1 X 24 2 X 24. Mable Audio

this was my detail order after some research:
ROTARY SWITCHES DR-MQ5
6 X 1 POLE 12 STEP MF1 Shape, MF2 Shape, MF3 Shape, HF Shape,
E-Switch KC52A30.001NLS DigiKeys EG1952-ND
2 X 2 POLE 12 STEP LF SHAPE 20274
Grayhill 71BD30-02-1-AJS 2139 MBB (Shorting) Digikeys GH7713-ND
MAST0328 Mableaudio.com (but may not fit into space)
10 X 1 POLE 24 STEP GAIN MAST0283 Mableaudio.com
10 X 2 POLE 24 STEP FREQUENCY MAST0025A Mableaudio.com

Last edited:
Back