Stereo to Mono at Speaker Level - Is This Possible?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Hi All,

I'm currently using an old Technics SU-7700 amp for powering my studio monitors. I have two sets of monitors, both of which are passive - a pair of Yamaha NS625s and mono Auratone.

The SU-7700 has two sets of speaker outputs. At the moment I have one side of the speaker outputs going to the mono Auratone however it means that I have to remember to switch the output of my mixing software to mono each time I use it (and turn it back to stereo when switching back to the NS625s).

Just wondering if there is a way to sum the speaker outputs to mono so that I don't have to switch the software?

Cheers,

Chris

What you want is a monitor controller. They're a must-have item if you have to switch between different ins / outs. Even the cheap ones usually have a mono button. Just find one with the right jacks.

What you want is a monitor controller. They're a must-have item if you have to switch between different ins / outs. Even the cheap ones usually have a mono button. Just find one with the right jacks.

I've had a look at monitor controllers and from what I can see, they take a stereo line input and then send to the different monitor amps. This would work but I'd need another power amp for the Auratone.

Hi Chris,
I think you’re Almost there!

Bo is right. You need a simple monitor controller.
https://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/passive-monitor-controller-kit.html?display_tax_prices=1
You are using an integrated amplifier as your monitor controller currently. It has multiple inputs. You might be able to accomplish this with your daw and a software button too.
You already have your extra amp inputs in your integrated amp. You just need a way to make it feel like a natural process.

You can most likely use the “tape b” or “aux” inputs and output with just one side of the “b” output.
Im wrong alot btw, thats how the process starts.

Back