Strange vintage power supply

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZHOUJUN

Strange old power supply, belongs to the switch type power supply or linear power supply? Thank you for you!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    753.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1
It's probably SMPS but that's not crystal clear. For 230VAC to 12.1VDC@8A, I would expect to see bigger magnetics in a linear supply.

If it is SMPS and you're seeking to replace it, I would just remove everything but the frame and connector and bolt on a new off-the-shelf 100W unit. The new one would be quite a bit smaller I think so it should fit onto the frame nicely.

Should be easy enough to tell for sure by tracing the power input. If it is power input->fuse->transformer->rectifier/16V caps then it is linear, if it is power input->fuse->rectifier/350V caps->transistors->transformer then it is a switcher.

In the beginning of smps, there was often a xfmr that provided raw rectified voltage to the switcher, because high voltage transistors were not available.
The idea was to increase efficiency and minimize heat, but not weight.

Thank you, this should be a old switch type power supply, don't know the power supply quality? For the amplifier supply.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg