Stranger Things with BCT MC03 microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LevinGuitar

I was modding into a U87 circuit one of my BCT MC03 microphones and I just realized that the C6 (C4 on MXL2001) capacitor have its positive lead on the ground (via R8) side :oops:
The second microphone have the same capacitor with same position. The rest of the talantums are placed as they should but this (and it's an important one :rolleyes:) is wrong? Am I missing something? The microphones are working.

What is happening here?

Mxl 2001 schematic:
http://cdn.recordinghacks.com/images/mic_extras/mxl/MXL2001-schematic.gif

Attachments

• bct mc03 capacitor.jpg
    bct mc03 capacitor.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 15
Technically, it is wrong - tantalums usually react quite violently and show their displeasure regarding overvoltage or reverse polarity with flames and skidmarks.

The only bright side is that the currents involved in phantom-powered microphones are tiny and thoroughly limited, so there's pretty much zero chance of damage.

Can't comment on if and what effect that may have on the "sound" though. If anything, i'm surprised they used tantalums at all - surely some tiny aluminium electrolytics would have been way cheaper and worked just as well...

Latest posts

Back