Studio Projects T3 Troubleshooting -- NTK Cable Weirdness

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yikelu

Hey all, short version: I recently got a Studio Projects T3 and it's not working. I only have a Rode NTK 7 pin XLR to test with. The cable reads good on continuity but won't pass high DC voltages coming from the T3 PSU?! What's going on here?

Long story: recently got two tube mics. I've had the NTK for a week and it works fine. T3 arrived yesterday, I plug it in and nothing. So I started troubleshooting, taking the mic apart and testing continuity. XLR cabling reads fine, as does capsule wiring. This morning I start testing the PSU and I get good voltage readings (~200V pin 1, 6.65 pin 2 ~90 pin 3). I plug in the cable and nothing from pin 1 and 3, though the 6.65V from pin 2 gets through.

I then check the cable for continuity and every pin reads fine. Search online and find the pinouts for the NTK and see that they're different than the T3 (no surprise there). In the NTK, pin 1 is shield/ground and pin 2/3 are the balanced audio outs.

So the question is ... how is it that the cable reads continuous but no DC voltage appears at the end of it on pins 2 and 3? Do they have inline DC blocking caps? Is it internally shorted?

Thanks

The NTK cable have its pin1 tied to the shield and chinese 7pin cables like Studio Projects usually have their pin7 tied to the shield. Since the Studio Projects mic have its main voltage going through pin1, it goes to ground inside the 7pin cable from Rode

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back