Suggestions needed for software, interface etc.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston OBoogie

I've been without any kind of computer system for typical analogue testing etc. since the last fatal crash of my last laptop.
I'm currently on a pauper's budget due to personal circumstance and commitments but, recently managed to acquire a mid 2012, Unibody, last of the upgradeable MacBook Pro i7 quad cores.
Obviously this is now quite a long in the tooth system but, them's the cards I've been dealt.

So, given that, are there any recommendations for a decent, preferably open source, FFT and basic testing software app that folks think are worthy of looking at?  If not open source, what is a decent but affordable package.

Secondly, given my current interface is a lowly M-Audio 2 channel affair, what might be a worthwhile step up from that?  An RME AOI looks decent enough, as does an Audient with direct access to the AD converter.  Is it worthwhile hacking into the M-Audio to bypass unnecessary mic amp junk etc. or should I save for something better.

As for recording, it'd be limited to (max) 2 real sources at any one time plus a handful of virtual samples via Logic Pro X.

Lastly, if this quad core i7 is simply too long in the tooth, don't hold back, I need to know.

Cheers fellas,
Hinson O'Wobbly.

Room EQ Wizard (REW) is a popular choice for OSX. There aren’t a lot. I can’t think of another.  REW  runs on the big three OS’s.

The Digalent Analog Discovery 2 looks really nice to me.
That is an interface and software for $300.

https://store.digilentinc.com/analog-discovery-2-pro-bundle/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5PTrhp_m5QIVu4NaBR0IZQG2EAAYASAAEgI2YfD_BwE

I’m looking for an FFT solution too. What I really want is something for iOS. An iPad fits nicely on a bench and can be dragged behind a rack if necessary.  Unfortunately that doesn’t exist.

I would destroy a laptop on the bench. Now I’m thinking maybe a Mac mini  under the bench. I use a windows DAW but in general I prefer a Mac.  Every time I think I’ll do a windows  FFT solution I don’t end up doing it.

can you use the analog discovery as audio interface??? 

I think REW and analog discovery is a good combo but there are cases where a good soundcard is needed. Digital oscilloscopes usually does not have the resolution soundcards have. if you want to measure noise a soundcard is better than an oscilloscope by example. 

12afael said:

I don't know enough about the discovery to comment. All you need is a decent sound interface. Any decent USB device will do. I use a  Scarlette 2i2.

Cheers

Ian

We had some issues with the scarlet 2i2, we are emulating high gain guitar amplifiers and in that application the input was noisy compared with other interfaces.

What I don´t like in general of focusrite interfaces is the drivers.  In multi input/output interfaces depending on the software(usually audio measuring software) sometimes you can´t access all the input/outputs.

but that is my experience.

Thanks for the replies and recommendations fellas.  I just updated OS  to Catalina and will download REW today.  I do have a USB interface, a 2 channel M-Audio 2X2M.  It was dirt cheap and I probably should have splurged on something better.  I'm not interested in the mic amps or DI inputs that most of the small boxes have, just decent converters and direct line input access to the AD would be nice. 

Paul, I like the look of what analog discovery can do and that might be something I'd like to get.  I'm a fan of Tektronix 'scopes and have a more than adequate one that mostly sits with the low pass filter engaged.  But still, having data in a digital format would be useful.  And if the FTT goes higher than a USB converter that's great.  Looking for YouTube videos on it as soon as I'm done typing 👍
I hear ya on trashing a laptop on the bench 😄.  I almost went for a Mac mini myself but then figured I can always use the MacBook Pro as such and keep it off to the side or in the corner.  I was hoping the more integrated iOS would mean a more useful for us audio guys iPad too, maybe it'll happen eventually?

REW is probably the way to go. Another one I like is Fuzz Measure. 99.99$ for a personal license.

http://rodetest.com/

It seems to have been taken over by Rode?

Current interfaces are so good even a lowly Behri would do. Try your M-audio before spending money?

The Mac you bought is THE model to get. All the later ones suffer from some sort of factory defect. Most notably the keyboard. But also the thunderbolt/USB-C connectors are a real pita. You can't get many adapters for TB2 anymore as they've been replaced with USB-C ones.

Your biggest worry is Catalina...

FWIW, I'm looking to download REW with wither a Scarlett 2i2 or Solo for short term need.

For long term I am looking at the MiniDSP MCHStreamer - 8 ch in/out, and 32bit/384kHz native. I say long term because I would need to develop the ADC and DAC.

I don't think the Analog Discovery 2 will work with REW. The AD2 has its own software. Along that line there is also the Red Pitaya and more recently I came across a few Velleman USB Scopes that look intriguing.

Lucas

Winston O'Boogie said:
I was hoping the more integrated iOS would mean a more useful for us audio guys iPad too, maybe it'll happen eventually?

I think an iOS test set would be a good seller.  It would be as portable as a DMM with bench capabilities. I floated the idea to people I thought might be into it and could get it done. There wasn’t much interest.

abbey road d enfer said:
Do you think you could live with 14-bit resolution?
Also, I don't think it is compatible with any of the usual digital audio protocols such as ASIO.

He said he had the M-Audio interface for recording. I thought a dedicated measurement front end might be desirable since he was talking about modifying what he has.

The behringer UMC 204hd might suit the budget Winston,
Or with the MAC  you could go for any number of second hand Fireware interfaces , I got a TC Konnekt24D recently for 50euros , took a little diddling to figure out which drivers were best for the OS's I use ,but its running rock solid for me now . RME do seem to hold their value ,but you do see the odd multiface 2 for smaller money ,that still has very  good spec .

If you havent seen REW give it a try ,I love the it for distortion measurements especially , Visual Analyser is another usefull program , Yoshimasa audio tools is an ancient 600kb program but the scope function I still like. 

my question
was because of this

Room EQ Wizard (REW) is a popular choice for OSX. There aren’t a lot. I can’t think of another.  REW  runs on the big three OS’s.

The Digilent Analog Discovery 2 looks really nice to me.
That is an interface and software for $300.

and no I can´t live with 14 bits because  noise floor and other things that I explained in my post.  But what I just found and I think is really interesting is that is possible to use a USB soundcard together with the Digilent Waveforms software.  I think it open a lot of possibilities.

Where did you find the Digilent software working with regular audio interfaces 12alafel?

Thanks again for the further responses.

Lucas, that MiniDSP MCHStreamer looks like a pretty unique product, certainly can't beat the price.  I think I might be up for doing something similar to you down the road. 

I'll give the M-Audio a whirl with REW.  For what I want to do it might be just fine, and if I can squeeze a couple of dB more dynamic range out of it with a hack that bypasses the mic amps, all the better. 

Cheers chaps 😊

https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/16671-waveforms-with-usb-soundcard-as-scopewavegen/

I haven't tried yet.

MLSSA from DRA labs ,

Anyone use this , or have experience of it , there was a time no speaker review was complete without attached graphs for freq. resp.  and impulse decay from Mlssa . Pricewise its in a similar league to A.P. on the second hand market .

Latest posts

Back