Suggestions to add to my Simple OT design aid app

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougsta

Last March I created a very simple output transformer app to help wind transformers for valve amps, runs on windows/mac/linux. I also did one for power transformers.
It just uses the RDH4 ch5 for the theory and adds a lookup table to suggest a wire gauge (AWG), a toggle for SE/PP (no air gap calculation, I figured a layer of kapton tape or pressed paper is close enough, leave it out or add another if it doesn't sound right).
I included a few templates to load, eg 6V6 tweed type push pull 6K6:8Ω.
My next update will add more templates and a toggle for using metric units (mm for core dimensions and Tesla for flux density) or Imperial units (inches and Gauss) I didn't use Lines/square inch/fathoms/bushel as per the RDH, 1T = 10000G = 64516 LSI.
It also restricted the sec imp field to 2 digits, 1-99Ω as I planned on only using 4, 8 and 16Ω speakers. @ruffrecords suggested expanding this to include at least 600Ω, I'll can change this to 5 digits so max will be 99999Ω for pri and sec impedance.
Another idea is to add % taps for UL.
Maybe a user option to save/load templates.

Feel free to throw some ideas at the wall and see what sticks...

Doug

Attachments

• update OT app.jpg
    update OT app.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 15
cool!you can build programs for each size lamination than can be can helpful,
and you can add leakage inductance formulas to your design program,
i do mine in excel, if you want i can send you the files, cj

cool!you can build programs for each size lamination than can be can helpful,
and you can add leakage inductance formulas to your design program,
i do mine in excel, if you want i can send you the files, cj
Thanks CJ, that would be great.

There is a program by Yves Monmagnon that goes into a lot more detail on the magnetics and copper and Pri/Sec layers and targeted at HiFi link:
http://www.dissident-audio.com/OPT_da/Page.html
User guide is in French ( ok for me, I lived and worked in Paris for 9 years, google translate does a reasonable job on it)

Doug.

Latest posts

Back